DTS packages to open files only for reading

DTS packages to open files only for reading

Post by Mahita Gundal » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:46:28

Hi All,
I am using DTS packages for importing data from excel
files to SQL server tables.
When the excel files are opened for modification and the
DTS packages are executed at the same time, since DTS
package is opening file for modification instead of read
only mode, it throws an error "The file is being used by
another process".
In order to avoid this error, I would like to know whether
there is any property that can be set for DTS packages in
order to indicate that it should open files only for
reading and not for modification.

Regards,
Mahita

DTS packages to open files only for reading

Post by Allan Mitchel » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:42:54

Hello, Mahita!

Does adding ReadOnly=1 to the extended properties of the XL spreadsheet
help. ?
--

Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
MCSE,MCDBA

: Hi All,
: I am using DTS packages for importing data from excel
: files to SQL server tables.
: When the excel files are opened for modification and the
: DTS packages are executed at the same time, since DTS
: package is opening file for modification instead of read
: only mode, it throws an error "The file is being used by
: another process".
: In order to avoid this error, I would like to know whether
: there is any property that can be set for DTS packages in
: order to indicate that it should open files only for
: reading and not for modification.

: Regards,
: Mahita
      ---  Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000

1. Cannot edit DTS package/DTS package opens, but window is blank

Howdy,

I've got about 12 or so DTS packages saved that I created, and when I
try to open them now, the DTS edit window opens, but it's completely
blank!  I can't even see the tool panel on the left side.

I'm connecting to a SQL server using my laptop, which also has the
Enterprise Magager installed.  All the databases and DTS packages I'm
dealing with are on the other SQL server.

The weird thing is I can edit the packages just fine if I'm at the
actual SQL machine, but when I'm at my machine I get the error.

Any suggestions?

SQL 2000
Security is SQL authentication

TIA,

John

2. bcp problem

3. New DTS Package to read multiple ASCII files

4. IN OUT parameters

5. DTS File Package open errors

6. Oracle7 to Oracle8

7. Open Text files into a recordset in VBScript in a DTS Package

8. Outer joins

9. Opening a DTS package file from command promt

10. DTS error migrating dts saved to file packages.

11. Import a DTS Package from a DTS file

12. DTS package *.dts to *.sql file

13. Automatically export DTS Packages to .dts files