Trouble Backing up to a separate server

Post by Molly Turle » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi
I have SQL Server 6.5
I am trying to backup my database on another server connected via LAN.  I
have mapped a network drive to the correct drive of the backup server, and I
have created the disk backup device.  I am getting the following error:

That the dump device can not be opened and that the system cannot find the
path specified.

I have checked the path several times and to my knowledge  the correct path
is specified.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
MOlly

Trouble Backing up to a separate server

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Molly,

 1.  You must backup to a UNC path
 2.  The MSSQLSERVER service must be running under an NT account that
has network privileges.  The default localsystem account does not.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd
 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated
otherwise)

Trouble Backing up to a separate server

Post by Brian Marsto » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Neil,

We are using a UNC path!  We are using the following path template:
\\servername\sharename\mssql\backup

We are also using administrator accounts.  If I am able to map to the drive,
why can't I use my UNC path to create a backup device?

Thank you very much!

>Molly,

> 1.  You must backup to a UNC path
> 2.  The MSSQLSERVER service must be running under an NT account that
>has network privileges.  The default localsystem account does not.

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
> Protech Computing Ltd
> (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated
>otherwise)

Trouble Backing up to a separate server

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Brian,

 It's because it doesn't matter who YOU are logged on as.  MSSQLSERVER
runs as a service, and has it's own NT security context regardless of
who is logged onto the server (if anyone).  Therefore the MSSQLSERVER
service needs to be run under a user account (check control
panel/services/startup options to see what account it is running under)

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd
 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated
otherwise)

Trouble Backing up to a separate server

Post by Brian Marsto » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Neil,

When I go to control panel/services/startup options this is what MSSQLserver
is set on:

Startup Type- Automatic

Log On as- System Account and "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" is
checked.
Should I use "This Account" and create a user.  Out of all the groups you
can choose from, what groups should I make this user a member of?

Thanks Neil

>Brian,

> It's because it doesn't matter who YOU are logged on as.  MSSQLSERVER
>runs as a service, and has it's own NT security context regardless of
>who is logged onto the server (if anyone).  Therefore the MSSQLSERVER
>service needs to be run under a user account (check control
>panel/services/startup options to see what account it is running under)

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
> Protech Computing Ltd
> (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated
>otherwise)

Trouble Backing up to a separate server

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Brian,

 The user has to be already defined to NT.  As to what groups they need
to be a member of, there's no hard and fast rule.  I always make the
userid a member of the local admins group as that sorts out any
security issues.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd
 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated
otherwise)

1. SQL Server 6.5 Back ups

Folks,

I can't make "backup database" function work. I go through all the steps -
make it a complete database backup to a "Backup" folder on the hard drive
with the "overwrite" existing media option on, go to schedule, select all
settings I need, click on the "schedule" box. Once I click on "OK",
everything I set for the back up procedure goes away including the schedule
options.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Konstantin

2. Stored Procedure strategy

3. Back-Up Power for servers,UPS, Generators

4. Training 6.5 vs 7.0

5. Back-ups

6. Calling a C function from PL/SQL

7. Copyng Back Ups ?

8. Oracle through the web ?

9. Converting full database back-ups to Flat Files

10. scheduled back-ups

11. best way to make incremental back-ups?

12. Hot Back-ups from Raw File Systems

13. Database Back-ups Contending with On-Line Transactions