Can't read from Linked Server table

Post by Ahmed Jewaha » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:06:05

Dear All,

Have created a linked server from SQL Server 2000 to
Informix using ODBC Datasource and it is fine.

The problem is I'm not able to read one data field from
linked server's table. When I include that specific data
filed in my SELECT statement it popups with following
error message. The datatype of that particular field in
Informix table is 'DateTime Hour to Minute'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Error in
Converting data type DBTYPE_DBTIMESTAMP to Datetime.

If I exculde that partcual filed from the SELECT statement
it will work. I tried with convert but it doesnt work.

Hope that someone can really help me on this.

Any helps/tips shall highly be appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Ahmed

Can't read from Linked Server table

Post by Umachandar Jayachandra » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:44:52

    Please don't post the same question independently in multiple
newsgroups. You are wasting the time of those trying to respond to identical
threads. See my reply in ".connect" or whatever newsgroup you posted.

--
Umachandar Jayachandran
SQL Resources at http://www.umachandar.com/resources.htm

Can't read from Linked Server table

Post by Ahmed Jewaha » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 01:59:43

Hi,

Thank u very much for your response.

What I understand from your reply that I have to create a view in the Informix Database and access that view from SQL Server. Isn't it ?.

Is it possible to read the informix table not from View. Because I'm not an Informix guy and I have to ask our Informix DBA to do this. I would like to setup everything from SQL to avoid the dependecies.

Actually I want to create a View in SQL with joining of 2 or 3 table from Linked server database.

Is there any other option apart from creating the View in Informix ?.

Appreciate your tips/advise.

Thanks & regards,
Ahmed

Can't read from Linked Server table

Post by Umachandar Jayachandra » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:58:10

Quote:>> What I understand from your reply that I have to create a view in the
>> Informix Database and access that view from SQL Server. Isn't it ?.

    Yes.

Quote:>> Is there any other option apart from creating the View in Informix ?.

    No. Not if the provider doesn't support some data types.

--
Umachandar Jayachandran
SQL Resources at http://www.umachandar.com/resources.htm
( Please reply only to newsgroup. )

1. Can't read from Linked Server-

Dear all.

Have created a linked server from SQL Server 2000 to
Informix using ODBC Data Source and it is fine.

But, I'm not able to read a particualr field or when I
include that particular field in my SELECT statement it
popus with following error messages. The data type of that
particular field in Informix is 'DateTime Hour to Minute'

The error message is:

[Microsoft][ODBC Server Driver][SQL Server] Error
converting data type DBTYPE_DBTIMESTAMP to datetime.

I tried with convert and still it doesn't work. If I
exclud that particular field from my  SELECT statement it
works well!. How can I read such datatype field from SQL
Server.

Any of tips and advise shall highly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

B'regards,

Ahmed Jewahar

2. DAO & Excel 2.1 File

3. ADOX.Append Creates a Read-Only Linked Table to SQL Server 7.0

4. Index optimisation help please

5. Read only tables after linking Access-SQL Server

6. TSS

7. if you will promise Allahdad's swamp against cans, it will angrily depart the unit

8. "new record" in layout A defaults to value A in value list, layout B to value B?

9. URGENT: Can't read table data SQL Server 7 SP2

10. Tables on SQL Server don't show up when linking to them with Access 97

11. ODBC linked table on SQL Server Access from Win '95 InternetWare Client

12. querying linked server's tables