SQL Server Client Tools and MSDE

Post by Menachem Bazian, C » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:27:59

Does anyone know if the SQL Server Client Tools with work with MSDE? I
am working on an app with a developer and he has Win 98 (I have SQL
Server). He has the SQL2K CD and I know we can install MSDE and the
client tools. BUT, will they work together?

Thanks in advance

Menachem Bazian

SQL Server Client Tools and MSDE

Post by oj » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:30:48

yes, the client ui should work fine with msde

-oj

Quote:> Does anyone know if the SQL Server Client Tools with work with MSDE? I
> am working on an app with a developer and he has Win 98 (I have SQL
> Server). He has the SQL2K CD and I know we can install MSDE and the
> client tools. BUT, will they work together?

> Thanks in advance

> Menachem Bazian

SQL Server Client Tools and MSDE

Post by GP » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 14:28:09

You can install the the management tools of SQL Server 2000 to manage MSDE.

Management Tools

These components can be installed from the Management Tools category in the
Select Components dialog box, when running Setup. Management tools are
included when the option for Client Tools Only is selected as an initial
installation choice.

Enterprise Manager

Used to perform server and enterprise administrative tasks.

Profiler

Used to monitor, record, and support auditing of Microsoft SQL Server
database activity.

Query Analyzer

Used to enter Transact-SQL statements and procedures interactively. Also
provides graphical query analysis in the form of graphical showplans.

DTC Client Support

Used to extend database transactions across multiple servers.

Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) coordinates
transactions across a network of systems running Microsoft Windows NT?,
Microsoft Windows? 98, and Microsoft Windows 95.

Conflict Viewer

Used to view and, if necessary, change the way synchronization conflicts
are resolved.

You assume all risk for your use.  2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

Thanks,

William Chen

1. MSDE 2000 compatibility with SQL 7.0 client-only tools (MSDE 2000 SP2 tested)

We're seeing incompatibility between our product install which embeds MSDE
2000 if there is already a SQL 7.0 client (and potentially sever) apps
installed.

PROBLEM #1

Steps to recreate:

1A) SQL 7.0  Enterprise client apps installed on Win2K Professional (server
apps not  installable from SQL 7.0 CD). The same problem should occur on
Win2K Server if client-only tools are selected for installation.
2A) Install MSDE SP2 (from the Microsoft MSDE SP2 CD-ROM -  default or named
instance, or from an application that embeds MSDE SP2*).
3A) Start Enterprise Manager tool (from SQL 7 install in step 1A) and it
fails in SQL-DMO Error 127: General Error.

*Our application embed MSDE SP2 and includes DMO (but not REPL).

PROBLEM #2 (reverse order of install)

Steps to recreate:

1A) Install MSDE SP2 (from the Microsoft MSDE SP2 CD-ROM -  default or named
instance, or from an application that embeds MSDE SP2**).
2A) Install SQL 7.0 Enterprise client apps on Win2K Professional (server
apps not  installable from SQL 7.0 CD). The same problem should occur on
Win2K Server if client-only tools are selected for installation.
3A) Start Enterprise Manager tool (from SQL 7 install in step 1A) and it
fails in SQL-DMO Error 127: General Error.

Note: In both scenarios above, MSDE is transparent to our customer who
already has SQL 7 client-tools installed for their own purpose, whatever
that may be. I know that the SQL 7 tools won't connect to the MSDE instance
installed by our application because of the DMO interface change between SQL
7 and SQL 2000.

Please reference specific Microsoft documentation if it is known that this
environment is not supported, a specific Microsoft KB article if know (I
couldn't find one), or a specific Microsoft issue # if this has already been
reported against MSDE 2000 SP2. I expect this applies to all releases of
MSDE 2000 (no SP, SP1, and SP2).

Thank you for a prompt reply,
Rick Schertz

2. Copy Database

3. Licensing question: MSDE + SQL Server client tools

4. ! US - SYSTEMS ARCHITECTS - NO RELOCATION

5. Upgrading client tools only on server running sql server 7.0

6. Alarm Program e-mailing

7. SQL Server 2000 client tools on a 7.0 server

8. Code location question...?

9. +o CT - Oracle Developer, SQL, SQL Forms, Client Server, Oracle Tools, Programmer o+

10. WANTED: Betatesters for MS SQL Server/MSDE GUI Developer Tool

11. SQL SERVER Tools and MSDE

12. +o CT - Oracle Developer, SQL, SQL Forms, Client Server, Oracle Tools, Programmer o+

13. running SQL XML in IIS wihch have SQL Server Client Tools only