SQL setup binary, ado truncating strings at 255 chars

SQL setup binary, ado truncating strings at 255 chars

Post by Rob Karatza » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Folks

    I've fallen into supporting a web site where the SQL Servers v7 were
setup with a BINARY code page.  For some reason, long varchar fields are
getting truncated at 255 characters in production.  (The machines that were
setup under development were set at the default code page, which doesn't
exhibit the cut-off problem.  But, before I have these database servers
rebuilt in production, I wanted to see if anyone though that there may be
something else here.  Maybe an MDAC issue?

Sorry wish I could tell you more, but I know little about the history of how
things were setup.)

Rob

SQL setup binary, ado truncating strings at 255 chars

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Rob,

This is most probably an MDAC issue. For a client to support > 255
characters you need drivers as per SQL Server 7.0 (I'm sorry, but I'm not
well versed with MDAC's version numbering scheme).

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi Folks

>     I've fallen into supporting a web site where the SQL Servers v7 were
> setup with a BINARY code page.  For some reason, long varchar fields are
> getting truncated at 255 characters in production.  (The machines that
were
> setup under development were set at the default code page, which doesn't
> exhibit the cut-off problem.  But, before I have these database servers
> rebuilt in production, I wanted to see if anyone though that there may be
> something else here.  Maybe an MDAC issue?

> Sorry wish I could tell you more, but I know little about the history of
how
> things were setup.)

> Rob

1. HELP - Strings truncated at 255 char

I have a .asp script that saves records to a SQL server.  If my string is
longer than 255 char, only the first 255 chars are saved.  What am I doing
wrong?  (I have MDAC installed, both on the SQL server (June 1999) and on
the webserver(v2.1.2.4204.3.)
Thank you in advance.

2. Announcement: Oracle Quality Solutions

3. Format(MyString) truncates strings to 255 chars?

4. Error 80004005

5. SQL/ASP and string with more than 255 chars

6. BatchMove

7. Changin 4GL's, forget e-mail address:^(

8. SQL strings getting cut off at 255 Chars.

9. SQL/ASP and string with more than 255 char