Character sets: choices, choices, ...

Post by Philip De Jongh » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

SQL7 requires you to make a choice as to which character set will be used in
all databases it stores. Nice. But we need to store different languages in
one database. Seen the number of possible character sets, it is not very
likely that we will have SQL7 installed once per set. Is there a way to
combine it all in one installation?

Thanks.

Character sets: choices, choices, ...

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Philip,

Can you use the Unicode datatypes?
(note that you still choose "sort order" for Unicode at server level,
"Unicode collation".)

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

> SQL7 requires you to make a choice as to which character set will be used
in
> all databases it stores. Nice. But we need to store different languages in
> one database. Seen the number of possible character sets, it is not very
> likely that we will have SQL7 installed once per set. Is there a way to
> combine it all in one installation?

> Thanks.

Character sets: choices, choices, ...

Post by Philip De Jongh » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Tibor,

We attempted with nvarchar types but the problem is that SQL7 does a
conversion which we do not want it to do. We were successfull in entering
Polish characters (Code Page 1250 Windows Latin 2 (Central Europe)) with a
SQL7 configured for CP1252 in the Query Analyzer, but when performing a
Select on the Update we just did, we got our accented characters converted
to the best-matching CP1252 characters. For example the character hex 9E
(latin small letter Z with caron) became a plain lowercase Z...

Thanks for some clarification, if possible.

Philip

> Philip,

> Can you use the Unicode datatypes?
> (note that you still choose "sort order" for Unicode at server level,
> "Unicode collation".)

> --
> Tibor Karaszi
> MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
> Cornerstone Sweden AB
> Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.

> > SQL7 requires you to make a choice as to which character set will be
used
> in
> > all databases it stores. Nice. But we need to store different languages
in
> > one database. Seen the number of possible character sets, it is not very
> > likely that we will have SQL7 installed once per set. Is there a way to
> > combine it all in one installation?

> > Thanks.

Character sets: choices, choices, ...

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I haven't worked much with Unicode, but either you didn't enter the Unicode
data properly with the UPDATE's SET clause, or the client app/tool with
which you do SELECT "downgrades" Unicode to "ordinary" character string.

I assume that you did enter the string with a preceding N, as in
SELECT N'This is a Unicode string'
--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
Cornerstone Sweden AB

> Tibor,

> We attempted with nvarchar types but the problem is that SQL7 does a
> conversion which we do not want it to do. We were successfull in entering
> Polish characters (Code Page 1250 Windows Latin 2 (Central Europe)) with a
> SQL7 configured for CP1252 in the Query Analyzer, but when performing a
> Select on the Update we just did, we got our accented characters converted
> to the best-matching CP1252 characters. For example the character hex 9E
> (latin small letter Z with caron) became a plain lowercase Z...

> Thanks for some clarification, if possible.

> Philip

> > Philip,

> > Can you use the Unicode datatypes?
> > (note that you still choose "sort order" for Unicode at server level,
> > "Unicode collation".)

> > --
> > Tibor Karaszi
> > MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
> > Cornerstone Sweden AB
> > Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.

> > > SQL7 requires you to make a choice as to which character set will be
> used
> > in
> > > all databases it stores. Nice. But we need to store different
languages
> in
> > > one database. Seen the number of possible character sets, it is not
very
> > > likely that we will have SQL7 installed once per set. Is there a way
> > > combine it all in one installation?

> > > Thanks.

1. set field, 3 choices, on a script.

I've got a field that has 3 choices. I want to make a script that automatically
chooses choice #3, each time as the default. I was going to do an "auto-enter"
from the 'define fields' side, but during the course of the week, I will choose
one of the other 2 options. I want to "reset" the choices to the 3rd one each
time I run the script.

I tried (maybe 'cause I messed up somehow) to do a "Set Field" script, or the
"Past Literal" to that 3rd choice, but all I get is all 3 fields not selected,
which means that it cleared all the choices, but didn't make all the fields set
to #3.
--
[Jameson Stalanthas Yu, Shade and Sweet Water, mes amis and Edgerunners]
              [Link at http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~jamesony]

2. Get user access

3. JDBC? ODBC?..... choices choices...hmmm!!! :(

4. AllBase

5. How to limit the choices of one popup listbox based on the choices in another popup listbox?

6. Urgently need converting integer to date

7. JDBC? ODBC?..... choices choices...hmmm!!! :(

8. Top N in Oracle 8.0.5

9. Non supported character set: oracle-character-set-96

10. db character set & N character set

11. All Choice

12. Best choice for working with SQL - Access or VB

13. What optimum choice for web server?