About Excel 2000 Pivot Tables ...

Post by Juan Rier » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I have read that Excel 2000 has made an evolution from pivot tables to an
OLAP analysis tool. Is this option available on beta evaluation kit? Will
Excel 2000 pivot tables able of reading metacubes from Essbase, IMB OLAP
Server, Informix Metacube and/or others, or only PLATO?
Thanks,
Juan Riera

About Excel 2000 Pivot Tables ...

Post by Olivier Matra » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Juan

It is true that the PivotTable feature in Excel2000 now uses the Microsoft
OLAP engine (specifically the client-side OLAP Engine called PivotTable
Service).
This allows in particular to go beyond the size limitations experienced in
former implementation of pivot tables, to do drills, etc. and thus to
perform true OLAP analysis.

This feature is available in Microsoft Office 2000 beta2.

Since PTS uses OLE-DB to connect to a data source, only OLAP Engines that
are also an OLE-DB provider are supported.
So far that means either MS OLAP Services or Applix TM1 Server7.

Olivier.

Quote:>Hi,