Access settings across 2 servers

Post by Andy Cotgreav » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:27:07

hi there,
i am trying to set up some stroed procs and triggers that select data from a
different server, but am unable to gain access to the server.

For example, on server A, I have added server B to the sysservers table,
using sp_addlinkedserver.

In Query Analyzer, connected to server A, I try a command like this:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM <ServerB>.pubs.dbo.Authors

When I run this, I get the following error:

Server: Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Line 1
Login failed for user '\'.

Interestingly, when I try and do this the other way round, so I am connected
to ServerB (my development machine), accessing data from ServerA, the
command works okay.

I guess this is something to do with security, logins, and roles, but I
don't really know where to start to fix it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Andy Cotgreave

(remove nospam)

Access settings across 2 servers

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:01:12

Andy, use sp_addlinkedsrvlogin to configure the login mapping between the two servers. SQL Server Books Online has enough documentation and examples on this topic.
--
HTH,
Vyas

Access settings across 2 servers

Post by Andy Cotgreav » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:53:09

Quote:> Andy, use sp_addlinkedsrvlogin to configure the login mapping between the

two servers. SQL Server Books Online has enough documentation and examples
on this topic.

Hi,
I have tried that, and yet the problem still exists. I used the default
parameters to do the login mapping - looking at the options, I can't see how
changing any of the paramters could make a difference.

Is there anything else I should look out for?

Andy

1. setting password/access privileges once across multiple files FMP 5.5v2

Good morning,

I am working in FMP 5.5v2 on a Mac OS 9.2.2 & OS X platform with
Server 5.5 for OS X running by it self on OS X box.

I am the File Maker guy in our office - it is one of many
responsibilities and don't enjoy adding and subtracting new and old
employees access privileges each time we get someone new or someone
leaves.  We have several files and I would like to be able to set the
privileges once, and have them propagate to the other files, instead
of doing each file individually.  This type of pass wording scheme
maybe an easy solution that I have missed.  I am by no means a FMP
guru, so coming up with an idea is one thing - implementing it from
scratch is something altogether different.  I am a basic functionally
dangerous developer - so if I have a recipe, I can follow it - I just
don't have enough experience to be an original author.

I imagine some of you out there have pretty custom solutions that do
this, the only thing that I have found that even begins to address the
situation is Dialog Magic, and that only allows one to change existing
passwords on multiple files at once.

Any assistance any of you want to or can offer will be greatly
appreciated - whether it is instructions or a point in the right
direction I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Joshua Cunningham

2. SQL 2000, XP and ADO

3. Pls Help Needed: How to access a SQL Server across a WAN

4. Insert many records at once into table

5. Accessing a server across different gateways??

6. Database Beginner

7. accessing a sql server db across a vpn

8. Computer training

9. Cannot Access Server Across WAN

10. Access to SQL Server across T1

11. Accessing Data Across Servers