Replicating user information

Post by Chloe Crowde » Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:32:05

Hi
    we just did our first replication run (snapshot - v. simple) and noticed
that the users and roles hadn't come across. Is there a way of replicating
this sort of information, and if not why not?

Chloe Crowder
The British Library

Replicating user information

Post by Stride » Wed, 02 Oct 2002 23:02:02

Quote:> Hi
>     we just did our first replication run (snapshot - v. simple) and
noticed
> that the users and roles hadn't come across. Is there a way of replicating
> this sort of information, and if not why not?

Replication replicates data (and under SQL 2000 if done right, schema
changes).  That's it.

Generally what I do when first setting a box up for replication is perform a
restore of the databases in question and then do a snapshot or use DTS or
scripts.

(The backup method is simple, but not really all that effecient since
generally your snapshot will overwrite the data anyway.  The scripting
allows you to script exactly what you want.)

Quote:

> Chloe Crowder
> The British Library

1. How to obtain information about user roles and user permissions on tables

Hello Gurus!

Thank you for your patience...

Tell me please, how to obtain information about user roles and user
permissions on tables.

First question can be solved via exec sp_helpuser 'name' but how to work
with result set of this stored procedure?
Could the answer be an example, please.

Second question unclear at all. For sure I can do bit reversing on
syspermisions and so on, but maybe there is more simple way?..

Thanks in advance.

Anatole V. le Pekhin

2. SQL Query Feature/Bug ?

3. Suse 8.0 and Oracle 9i Installation

4. Replicating the name of the user who made the change using transactional replication

5. Informix DBA Opportunity, Silicon Valley

6. moving replicated user db

7. Problem Replicating SQL Server 2000 Database With Access 2000 Database With Workgroup Information File

8. REPLICATING USERS..??

9. Using User Defined Datatypes in Replicated Tables

10. Replicating User Accounts

11. Replicating Master database (or at least user logons)