Transfering a Cube Structure

Post by Ben Gidle » Sat, 05 May 2001 22:37:05

We need to deploy a number of cubes that have the same structure but
different data sources.

Is there any way of transfering a cubes structure between two machines and
then changing the datasource at the other end.

Thanks

Ben Gidley

Transfering a Cube Structure

Post by Christian Conve » Sun, 06 May 2001 02:04:56

Yeah...

To transfer the cubes, archive them from the source machine, then restore
the resulting .CAB file onto the target machine.

To change the data source, don't define a new "Data Source". Instead, at
each target machine, in your restored cube database, edit the properties of
the "Data Source" that your original cube used. In this editing, you can
specify a totally different source database et al.

E.g., the "Data Sources" defined in a cube database are actually just a
level of indirection to a real data source. Your cubes/dimensions are
defined in terms of that cube database's "Data Sources", but you can alter
those data sources to point at different back-end systems.

Quote:> We need to deploy a number of cubes that have the same structure but

Post by Ermanno Bonifaz » Sun, 06 May 2001 04:05:03

try our tool at http://www.mediaconsulting.com/rubik/

Quote:> We need to deploy a number of cubes that have the same structure but
> different data sources.

> Is there any way of transfering a cubes structure between two machines and
> then changing the datasource at the other end.

> Thanks

> Ben Gidley

Transfering a Cube Structure

Post by Trevor Dwye » Sun, 06 May 2001 12:23:18

Hi Ben,

Get hold of the SQL Server 2000 resource kit - it has an addin that allows
you to script the entire database/cube to a .vbs file - which can then of
course be modifed and run where ever you wish.

Best Regards

Trevor Dwyer - SQL Server MVP