Columns and Tables Question

Post by Arie » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

--SQL 6.5 (and 7 if possible)Question--

In the latest version of SQL Server what are the maximum values for:
- Name length of a column (charters)?
- Name length of a table (charters)?
- Max. number of columns per table?

I am doing some research on DB's and this information is hard to get from
the SQL site.

Thanks,

Cheers!

Ariel Roberge

Columns and Tables Question

Post by B Donohu » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The maximum Column length is 255 characters (excluding text and image
columns).
The maximum number of bytes per row is 1962 (excluding text and image
columns).
You are allowed up to Columns 250 columns per table.

-Bruce Donohue

>--SQL 6.5 (and 7 if possible)Question--

>In the latest version of SQL Server what are the maximum values for:
>- Name length of a column (charters)?
>- Name length of a table (charters)?
>- Max. number of columns per table?

>I am doing some research on DB's and this information is hard to get from
>the SQL site.

>Thanks,

>Cheers!

>Ariel Roberge

Columns and Tables Question

Post by Tony Rogerso » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

6.5......
- Name length of a column (charters)?
    30
- Name length of a table (charters)?
    30
- Max. number of columns per table?
    250

Extract from books online with more detailed info..

SQL Server can have as many as 2 billion tables per database and 250 columns
per table. The number of rows and total size of the table are limited only
by the available storage. The maximum size of a database is 1 terabyte (TB).
A table can be as large as 1 TB minus the size of the database catalog and
any other objects. The maximum number of bytes per row is 1962. If you
create tables with varchar or varbinary columns whose total defined width
exceeds 1962 bytes, the table is created but a warning message appears.
Trying to insert more than 1962 bytes into such a row or to update a row so
that its total row size exceeds 1962, produces an error message and the
statement fails. For details on calculating row size, see the Microsoft SQL
Server Administrator's Companion.

--
Hope the above helps.

Tony Rogerson
Torver Computer Consultants Ltd.

1. inserting multible columns from one table into a single column in another table

example:  in gupta I could write the following sql statement to insert
multible columns from one table into a singe column in another table.

insert into receipttable (id,name) select id,firstname|| ' ' lastname
from mastertbl where id=1

results:

1,Angelique Worrell

sql server 7.0  -- i get the following error:

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '|'.

How is this done?

Angel

2. High-Availability For Informix

3. Selecting the first 6 columns of a table by column order/ column id

4. Can I change to per seat licensing after installing the server

5. Question on indexing column(s) within a table

6. database evaluation

7. alter table question, order of columns

8. Question about changing size of table column.

9. Alter Table > Add Identity Column Performance Question

10. Question about changing size of table column.

11. Really simple question: How to insert a table with only one column (also identity)

12. column & table names question