Problem connecting to Oracle database using linked server

Problem connecting to Oracle database using linked server

Post by Shob » Thu, 03 May 2001 22:59:02

I am trying to connect to an Oracle remote server, but am having problems
establishing the connection.

I tried it thru the wizard as well as ran the sp_addlinked server.

This is what I did thru the wizard.

I gave the Oracle Server name as the linked server.
I choose "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle" as the provider name.
I input "Oracle" for the Product Name.
I input the SQL * Net Alias name of this remote database as the Data Source.
I am not sure what I should input in the Provider String. I just gave the
database name.

In Security, I choose the option "Be made using this security context" and gave
the oracle server user name and password.

 I tried to give MSDAORA as the provider name thru the Enterprise Manager. But it
does not let me type anything, but choose something from the drop down. So I
tried the following in the Query Analyzer

exec sp_addlinkedserver '<servername>', 'Oracle','MSDAORA','<SQL*net alias name>'

It seems to run ok but when I try to open the tables thru enterprise manager I
get the same error
"ERROR 7399; OLA DB Provider "MSDAORA" reported an error."

I have Oracle Client 8.0 installed on the server.

Once I complete this, it looks as if the link has been established but when I
click on tables and views I get the following error.

"ERROR 7399; OLA DB Provider "MSDAORA" reported an error."

Problem connecting to Oracle database using linked server

Post by Sergio Otoy » Fri, 04 May 2001 21:52:56

I am having a similar problem in which I have tried to link to an ORACLE
database through both the OLEDB and using ODBC.
When I click on the tables icon, it takes a long time and eventually gives
an error.

I have also tried to run a select query from the SQL analyzer and it
eventually gives me an error saying that it cannot instantiate MSDASQL.

Has anyone experienced this problem?. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sergio Otoya
Winapp Pty Ltd

[...]

Post by Dewayne Wilfon » Fri, 18 May 2001 05:35:50

Did you ever get this resolved. I am stuck in exactly the same place trying to
access and Oracle 8i database from Query Analyzer.

Any status would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You...

.

Problem connecting to Oracle database using linked server

Post by nor ata » Sat, 19 May 2001 16:11:11

Gee,
Before this, I thought I was alone having this problem.
I've been trying to solve this for more than one month and still no luck.
Hopefully, somebody out there hear our plight and come to the rescue.

TQ

Nor Atan

[...]

Post by Dewayne Wilfon » Mon, 21 May 2001 02:42:27

I pretty much got it working now.
Here is what I did.

Install SQL*Net 2.3.4 on the SAME Server that is running SQL Server 7.0 (not the
client). (and Net8 doesn't work with SQL Server OLE DB Providers).

Set up TNSNAMES on the above server.

Reboot the box (for the ORACLE_HOME settings to take effect).

run sp_addlinkedserver using the MSDAORA options (syntax in on-line books
perfect).

run sp_addlinkedsrvlogin to set up the default username/password for your Oracle
linked server. Careful with the username, I had to use the NT fully qualified
domain name.

Table Name syntax is linkedserver. .Oracle owner.table name, for example

select * from Ora8iserver. .scott.employees

My current problem is I cannot get the OLE DB Provider to use indexes and IT IS
SLOW !!

[...]

..

.

1. Problems connecting to Oracle database form Lotus Domino server using DECS

G'day netfolks,

I've just starting exploring the new features in Lotus Domino and
I'm currently trying to connect to an Oracle database using DECS
from Lotus Domino.
According to the Domino documentation, Oracle is a supported
external data source, and therefore have its own connection profile.
The Domino server and the Oracle server resides on the same Windows
NT server (it's in my lab, can't afford more servers :-( ).

Ok, using a diagnostic utility (nlctest.exe) to check if Domino
can connect using OCI and everything is working. SQL Pro also works.
But, when I'm creating the activity document in the DECS Administrator,
I recieve and very explaining (not!) error message.
Ok, after wasting an hour of trial-and-error testing I gave up, and
installed the Oracle ODBC driver and created a connection through
ODBC. After reconfiguring DECS, voila, it works! Great!!!
But, using ODBC is really not a good solution, especially if there
is going to be a lot of transactions between the Domino server and the
Oracle database. Ok, I can live with this as long as I'm developing
my application, but I don't think the customer is going to be to
happy about it.

Soooo, My first question is therefore; Are there known problems using
Oracle's OCI API with Domino/DECS? Or, more likely, what I'm I doing
wrong? Can't I have the Oracle server on the same phsycial NT server?

All help and/or pointers are greatly appriciated.

Regards,
Andreas Almroth

2. Help: Access with DB2

3. Problems connecting to Oracle database from Lotus Domino server using DECS

4. Help, getting "#Error" in database fields (Access).

5. Using database links to connect to a local database

6. How to store Date in SQL Server

7. How to link to SQL Server using Oracle without using Oracle Gateway

8. SQL 7.0 Memory Issue

9. How can i connect Exchange server using by linked server