SQL Agent Mail and SQL Mail

Post by Gregory A. Larse » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 02:27:40

I'm planning on setting up SQL MAIL and SQL Agent Mail to
use a POR3 and SMTP service as described in KB article
263556.  In fact I already have it working, in a test
environment.

I'm kind of wondering about the future.  Why does Outlook
2002 requires the mail client to be open in order to
work.  Is this just a bug, that will be fixed some day, or
is this a hard and fast requirement?  I'd hate to find out
some day I can't use a POP3 and SMTP service because I a
Outlook 2002 client is no open.

SQL Agent Mail and SQL Mail

Post by Vikrant V Dalwale [M » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:32:53

Hello Greg,

To improve the performance when working with
non-Exchange mail (pop3/smtp) , the mail spooler runs in the process space
of Microsoft
Outlook 2002, which requires the Outlook client to be open at all times when
you send mail to a non-Exchange server. If you do not want to leave the
Outlook
2002 client running on your server at all times (requiring you to be logged
on
to the server), you must use an Exchange server as your mail server or roll
back to a previous version of Microsoft Outlook.

This is by design.

Thanks,

Vikrant Dalwale

Microsoft SQL Server Support Professional

Get secure !! For info, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/security.
Please reply to Newsgroups only.

--------------------

| Subject: SQL Agent Mail and SQL Mail
| Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:27:40 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup
|
| I'm planning on setting up SQL MAIL and SQL Agent Mail to
| use a POR3 and SMTP service as described in KB article
| 263556.  In fact I already have it working, in a test
| environment.
|
| I'm kind of wondering about the future.  Why does Outlook
| 2002 requires the mail client to be open in order to
| work.  Is this just a bug, that will be fixed some day, or
| is this a hard and fast requirement?  I'd hate to find out
| some day I can't use a POP3 and SMTP service because I a
| Outlook 2002 client is no open.

1. Setting up SQL Agent Mail and SQL Mail

I have set up a new SQL Server running SQL Server 2000
Standard Edition SP2 with a hotfix applied for parallel
processing. It is running on Windows 2000 Advanced Server
SP3.

I have not installed Outlook on the machine because I
didn't think it needed it (it's just a server). However, I
would like to enable SQL Agent mail and SQL Mail
functions. Am I required to install Outlook for this? Or,
is there another way I can set up a mail profile without
Outlook on the machine?

Ken

2. Oracle Services Opportunities

3. SQL server 7 agent mail / SQL mail setup questions

4. Informix Triggers

5. sql mail and sql agent mail

6. OCP links, white papers, and more

7. Lotus Notes and SQL Mail/SQL Agent Mail

8. Using DSUM from VB6

9. SQL Mail vs SQL Agent Mail

10. Problem in Setting SQL Mail / SQL Agent Mail

11. SQL agent mail vs XP_SEND MAIL

12. SQL Mail and Agent Mail with Lotus Notes

13. SQL Mail (SQL-2000) via Lotus cc:Mail (DB8)