How to copy Databases from one SQL server to another

How to copy Databases from one SQL server to another

Post by Bob Bai » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Right, this has probably been asked before but as I havn't got all day to
scan the group I am going to ask it anyway.

What is the best way to transfer a database between two SQL-Servers that
CANNOT talk to each other.

Have tried backing up database and then restoring on other machine and get
some blurb about the Unicode Locale Id or Unicode Comparison style being
different across the two machines.

I can't believe that the only way to copy databases is using import/export
so I MUST BE DOING SOMETHING WRONG....

Only question is, WHAT IS IT.

How to copy Databases from one SQL server to another

Post by BPMargoli » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Bob,

The sort order is a fundamental piece of information maintained by SQL Server.

When the sort order differs between two SQL Server boxes, then the only way to
transfer data is indeed export / import. Neither a backup / restore nor a detach
/ attach approach will work.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc) which can be
cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

Quote:> Right, this has probably been asked before but as I havn't got all day to