DTS - Runnung DTS inside DTS.

Post by Nick » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I appologise if this is a silly question in advance.....but

I have a DTS package and the first thing I do is input the Import file name
(via ActiveX Script).  A process then loads the file.

Question is is it possible to loop round a Table which contains a number of
file names and trigger the package for each file individually?

Thx in advance

Nick

DTS - Runnung DTS inside DTS.

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Nick,

I believe that you have to construct a package dynamically from your own
(VB?) code. You'd be coding around the DTS com object.
Check out DTSDEMO (on the SQL7 CD) and scriptpkg.vbp (compile it to an exe).
It produces VB source from a stored package.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I appologise if this is a silly question in advance.....but

> I have a DTS package and the first thing I do is input the Import file
name
> (via ActiveX Script).  A process then loads the file.

> Question is is it possible to loop round a Table which contains a number
of
> file names and trigger the package for each file individually?

> Thx in advance

> Nick

DTS - Runnung DTS inside DTS.

Post by Darren Gree » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Suerly it would be easier to create two packages. One which contains
the active script task which loops through the files you want to
import, and then calls the second package which does the import.
To execute the package have a look at previous postings by myself and
Euan Garden on how to do this.
The first package can be used to change the import file of the second
quite easily. An example of this is on my SWYNK site. Note that these
examples are designed for the current Package, but you'll get the idea.

(As this type of issue is cropping up so reguarly now, I will post a
some code samples and explanation on my site early next week.)

Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

> Nick,

> I believe that you have to construct a package dynamically from your
own
> (VB?) code. You'd be coding around the DTS com object.
> Check out DTSDEMO (on the SQL7 CD) and scriptpkg.vbp (compile it to
an exe).
> It produces VB source from a stored package.

> --
> Tibor Karaszi
> MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
> Cornerstone Sweden AB
> Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.

> > I appologise if this is a silly question in advance.....but

> > I have a DTS package and the first thing I do is input the Import
file
> name
> > (via ActiveX Script).  A process then loads the file.

> > Question is is it possible to loop round a Table which contains a
number
> of
> > file names and trigger the package for each file individually?

> > Thx in advance

> > Nick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. DTS - Runnung DTS inside DTS.

I appologise if this is a silly question in advance.....but

I have a DTS package and the first thing I do is input the Import file name
(via ActiveX Script).  A process then loads the file.

Question is is it possible to loop round a Table which contains a number of
file names and trigger the package for each file individually?

Thx in advance

Nick

2. Create class function to handle 1 to many parameters for stored procedure

3. DTS package not executing an inside DTS package

4. Pdoxwin 5.0 ObjectPAL probs (mem/libs)

5. Capture Error in DTS Package, From Inside DTS Package

6. Beyong Oracle DBA

7. Executing DTS packages inside another DTS package

8. problem starting the server postmaster

9. DTS problem SQL7->DTS->Excel->DTS->SQL7

10. DTS in DTS?

11. DTS Error - Could Not Create Instance of DTS Package

12. DTS package & ADO recordset from DTS Connection

13. DTS: Using Global Variables in a DT SQL Query