JDeveloper - still not communicatign with SQL Server

JDeveloper - still not communicatign with SQL Server

Post by Ravichandran Mahaling » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 05:20:51

In little words, I have to concur with Wang Wei as mentioned in the
mail below.

The Jdeveloper assumes that the user in the SQL Server should always
use the default database associated with the user.  Jdeveloper did not
let me choose the databases I am entitled to access and update.

So I had to change the default database associated with my user id to
pull up the tables in the northwind tables.  the tables loaded fine,
but did not let me use in the application.

Wang et al found this problem in Apr 2002 and till now Oracle has not
fixed it.  I am afraid to think that it is not microsoft;s problem
because, microsoft would have released a bunch of service packs for
any problem identified.

thanks for your time.

regards
Ravi.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=c...

Subject: Re: Connecting to SQL Server 2000 in JDeveloper

View this article only
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,
microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver
Date: 2002-04-29 03:12:59 PST

Hi Folks,

   I try to summarize what I'd like to say.

   1) Programatically, in my small code exercises and outside
JDeveloper, I also succeeded in connecting to SQL server and making
some small queries.
      In fact, in JDeveloper, the connection seems succeeded, too. We
can also make queries in the JDeveloper tool SQL Worksheet.

   2) Using the JDBC-ODBC bridge, by some magic, I see the tables now
appear in the System-Navigator window. However, when I try to create a
business component, I get an error message:
      oracle.jbo.dt.objects.JboException: Entity creation failed, no
primary key attributes and does not support ROWID.

   3) In both cases of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC and
DataDirect Connect JDBC 3.0 driver, when I log in as the user sa, I
can see the tables. With a usual user login, I don't see my tables. In
the first case, when I try to create a business component, I get the
same error message as mentioned in 2).

   Conclusion: It still doesn't work.

   Wang

Post by dmz1 » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:10:54

> In little words, I have to concur with Wang Wei as mentioned in the
> mail below.

> The Jdeveloper assumes that the user in the SQL Server should always
> use the default database associated with the user.  Jdeveloper did not
> let me choose the databases I am entitled to access and update.

> So I had to change the default database associated with my user id to
> pull up the tables in the northwind tables.  the tables loaded fine,
> but did not let me use in the application.

> Wang et al found this problem in Apr 2002 and till now Oracle has not
> fixed it.  I am afraid to think that it is not microsoft;s problem
> because, microsoft would have released a bunch of service packs for
> any problem identified.

> thanks for your time.

> regards
> Ravi.

> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=c...

> Subject: Re: Connecting to SQL Server 2000 in JDeveloper

> View this article only
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,
> microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver
> Date: 2002-04-29 03:12:59 PST

> Hi Folks,

>    I try to summarize what I'd like to say.

>    1) Programatically, in my small code exercises and outside
> JDeveloper, I also succeeded in connecting to SQL server and making
> some small queries.
>       In fact, in JDeveloper, the connection seems succeeded, too. We
> can also make queries in the JDeveloper tool SQL Worksheet.

>    2) Using the JDBC-ODBC bridge, by some magic, I see the tables now
> appear in the System-Navigator window. However, when I try to create a
> business component, I get an error message:
>       oracle.jbo.dt.objects.JboException: Entity creation failed, no
> primary key attributes and does not support ROWID.

>    3) In both cases of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC and
> DataDirect Connect JDBC 3.0 driver, when I log in as the user sa, I
> can see the tables. With a usual user login, I don't see my tables. In
> the first case, when I try to create a business component, I get the
> same error message as mentioned in 2).

>    Conclusion: It still doesn't work.

>    Wang

I am not sure what you're saying. Oracle BC4J depend on a primary key for
each table and support for ROWID.

This is why you can expect only limited BC4J support for non-Oracle
databases.

Cheers,

dmz17

JDeveloper - still not communicatign with SQL Server

Post by Ravichandran Mahaling » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 04:02:24

Dear DMZ17 and other readers,

my concerns with Jdeveloper and Oracle are following:

1. i am trying to evaluate whether using jdeveloper as a  development
tool will make our j2ee applications communicate with disparate
databases such as sql server and db2.  the answer is may be or we are
out of luck with jdeveloper.

2.  if jdeveloper is going to make a big fuss about communicating to a
simple database such as Northwind in MS SQL Server, I am not too sure
whether I should use Jdeveloper for the proposed java based enterprise
wide web application.

3.  my other guess (I do not know) is that jdeveloper is going to lock
me into using Oracle 9i AS although the oracle reps might say that it
should not matter what middle tier one is using - Oracle jdeveloper's
code (if it is J2EE) will work fine.

4.  the fact that oracle's tool in the past have not done a good job
in communicating with other databases such as sql server or db2 - that
is why the industry is using vb, asp, jsp, java, jbuilder, and the
like and not Oracle forms, reports, and other oracle tools to work
with db2 and sql server.

QUESTION: do you think JBuilder will not have these sorts of hassles.

just thinking loudly.  any help is appreciated.

Regards
Ravi.

JDeveloper - still not communicatign with SQL Server

Post by dmz1 » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 05:00:33

f luck with jdeveloper.

Ravi, I don't work for Oracle (any more that is) so I am not attempting to
sell you anything.

Here are some fragments of the world as I see them:

1. Borland's product is 2-3 times as expensive as Oracle's

2. With JDeveloper 903 I really believe that Oracle is getting the hang of
a Java tool. It is not Eclipse though, but it has a lot of features I seem
to be missing from Eclipse.

3. For Oracle DB developers, JDeveloper can't be beaten

4. For non-Oracle DB developers it is no better and no worse than any
other Java tool.

5. So what, if Business Components for Java don't work well with non-Oracle
databases? If you deal primarily with non-Oracle, don't use BC4J.

6. For J2EE stuff I believe JDeveloper is excellent. After all, the
database stuff can be done by creating a connection and you will be doing
hand coding anyway. They were trailing other vendors on J2EE standards
compliance but now they have caught up.

7. Deployment to most popular platforms is a breeze. Not even necessary since
a simple shell script job will deploy any EAR file automatically.

8. OC4J is built right into the product, so testing is simple. Stopping
and starting OC4J is a matter of second(s). Try that with Websphere or
WebLogic, by the way.

I don't really see what else you would be using, honestly.

I am not sure what you mean by 'communicating with SQLServer'. There are
Java drivers to be had. And you are not suggesting a Microsoft tool to do
Java development, right?

Cheers,

dmz17

JDeveloper - still not communicatign with SQL Server

Post by Ravichandran Mahaling » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 07:13:16

Dear DMZ,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my queries.  I had concluded
on some of these based on my research.  I will share my findings with
my project manager.

I had sent her the url of this thread.

thanks once again for your input and have a nice weekend.

regards
Ravi.
***********************************

> 1. Borland's product is 2-3 times as expensive as Oracle's

> 2. With JDeveloper 903 I really believe that Oracle is getting the hang of
> a Java tool. It is not Eclipse though, but it has a lot of features I seem
> to be missing from Eclipse.

> 3. For Oracle DB developers, JDeveloper can't be beaten

> 4. For non-Oracle DB developers it is no better and no worse than any
> other Java tool.

> 5. So what, if Business Components for Java don't work well with non-Oracle
> databases? If you deal primarily with non-Oracle, don't use BC4J.

> 6. For J2EE stuff I believe JDeveloper is excellent. After all, the
> database stuff can be done by creating a connection and you will be doing
> hand coding anyway. They were trailing other vendors on J2EE standards
> compliance but now they have caught up.

> 7. Deployment to most popular platforms is a breeze. Not even necessary since
> a simple shell script job will deploy any EAR file automatically.

> 8. OC4J is built right into the product, so testing is simple. Stopping
> and starting OC4J is a matter of second(s). Try that with Websphere or
> WebLogic, by the way.

> I don't really see what else you would be using, honestly.

> I am not sure what you mean by 'communicating with SQLServer'. There are
> Java drivers to be had. And you are not suggesting a Microsoft tool to do
> Java development, right?

> Cheers,

> dmz17

1. How to configure the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC within Oracle9iDS JDeveloper

I am using Oracle9iDS Jdeveloper and I tried to setup a database
connection using the new Microsoft SQL server 2000 Driver for JDBC.(I
had no problem to set up a connection to an Oracle Database using the
Oracle JDBC driver).

When I am testing the connection throughout the wizard, I do receive
this error message: "Unable to find driver:
com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver".

I did all this:
1) I installed the "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC" at the
default location.

2) I set the variable CLASSPATH at the system level (and reboot) as
per the Microsoft User's Guide and Reference.
 CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDBC\lib\mssqlserver.jar;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000
Driver for JDBC\lib\msbase.jar;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
2000 Driver for JDBC\lib\msutil.jar

3) I also set the CLASSPATH within the Oracle9iDS JDeveloper's IDE
through Project,Default Project Settings, Configuration, Development,
Library, New, then create a library named "Microsoft JDBC" and add the
classpath for it;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDBC\lib\msbase.jar
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDBC\lib\mssqlserver.jar
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDBC\lib\msutil.jar

4)I setup the connection this way using the Database Connection
Wizard):
 Connection Type Tab
  Connection Name: connection1
  Connection Type: Third Party JDBC driver
 Authentification Tab
  User: sa
  Password: whatever
 Connection Tab
  Java Class Name: com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver

When I tested the connection I do received:
"Unable to find driver:
com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriverUnable to find driver:
com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver"

Obviously it can't locate the Micrososft JDBC driver but I can't
figure out why.
I tried all kind of things without any success. Is somebody can help
me?

Thanks,

2. Recent updates at www.sypron.nl

3. Connecting to SQL Server 2000 in JDeveloper

4. A complex problem, please help!

5. QT Stills

6. Urgent, after Master database Restore SQL service Stopped on standby

7. DTS from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 7.0 does not bring over keys, etc

8. Encryption addition to createuser

9. ERROR 16940 IN SQL SERVER 7.0 BUT NOT IN SQL SERVER 6.5

10. problem with creating an index in SQL Server 7.0 but not in SQL Server 2k

11. Sql server - sp_attach_db error that cause SQL server not to function correction

12. Use the failover SQL server if the primary SQL server is not available -ODBC

13. [ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not found