DB-LIBRARY error when trying to use isql.exe or bcp.exe

DB-LIBRARY error when trying to use isql.exe or bcp.exe

Post by Vic Thoma » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

        I am getting the same error from various workstations when trying to run
isql.exe or bcp.exe.  The error is as follows:

Password:
Operating-system error:
        There is no OS level error
DB-LIBRARY error:
        Specified server name attribute could not be found

        We are using NamedPipes to connect to our SQL Server databases from Win95
and WinNT40 workstations.  Is there a different layer of network protocol
support that I need to load to support bcp or isql?

----
Vic Thomas
Database Analyst
Associated Software Consultants

DB-LIBRARY error when trying to use isql.exe or bcp.exe

Post by Richard Waymir » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

If you start up the client config utility, what version of dblib do they
report?

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE, MVP (SQLServer)
Principal Engineer, ARIS Corp.

> I am getting the same error from various workstations when trying to run
>isql.exe or bcp.exe.  The error is as follows:

>Password:
>Operating-system error:
>        There is no OS level error
>DB-LIBRARY error:
>        Specified server name attribute could not be found

> We are using NamedPipes to connect to our SQL Server databases from Win95
>and WinNT40 workstations.  Is there a different layer of network protocol
>support that I need to load to support bcp or isql?

>----
>Vic Thomas
>Database Analyst
>Associated Software Consultants

DB-LIBRARY error when trying to use isql.exe or bcp.exe

Post by Vic Thoma » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

        Well, I blew this one.  Seems I had forgotten that I had installed the
Sybase SQL Server 11.0 client utilities some time after having installed
the Microsoft SQL Server utilities.  This caused the PATH environment
variable to have the Sybase path before the Microsoft SQL Server path.
Thus, when running isql.exe without fully qualifying the C:\MSSQL\BINN
path, the isql.exe for Sybase was running instead of the one for Microsoft
SQL Server.
        With full path qualification, isql and bcp both run just fine.

Quote:> If you start up the client config utility, what version of dblib do they