Enterprise Manager Hangs in Design Table and others on SQL Server 7.0

Enterprise Manager Hangs in Design Table and others on SQL Server 7.0

Post by Neale NOO » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,

I have recently upgraded databases from SQL Server 6.5, on the development
machine, to 7.0 on the production machine.

My initial attempts to transfer the whole database set, in one go (as
suggested by the 7.0 wizard), failed with Enterprise Manager "hanging" .
When I upgraded the databases one at a time, all seemed fine. The databases
are behaving as expected with all data, stored procedures, foriegn keys etc.
intact.

However any attempt to use the wizards to create diagrams or to use the
"design table" feature results in Enterprise Manager "hanging". Also I can
only successfully generate SQL scripts from any of the databases one table
at a time. If I try to generate the scripts for an entire database the
Enterprise Manager "hangs" again.

This installation of SQL Server 7.0 is part of a BackOffice SBS 4.5 package
and has not yet had SQL Server SP1 applied.

I am about to do a script rebuild of one of the databases from within
Enterprise Manager. Is there any known problems with Enterprise Manager that
could be causing this behaviour?

"hangs" means one of the following.

1. Script generation proceeds to 20% complete and then there is intermittent
disk activity with no apparent continuation of the script generation
process. Cancel script generation works - eventually.

2. Design Table produces some activity. then there is no further response
from the GUI. Task manager reports Enterprise Manager "not responding". End
task works with no apparent ill effects.

3. Create Diagram Wizard has the same effect as Design Table.

4. In all cases task manager reports CPU Usage fluctuating between 28% and
68% with memory usage constant. There is nothing else accessing the server
at this time.

TIA

Regards,
Neale NOON

Enterprise Manager Hangs in Design Table and others on SQL Server 7.0

Post by Neale NOO » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Further Update:

Script re-build of one of the databases resulted in the problem going away
for that database. I can't find any reference in the docs about this problem
with upgraded 6.5 databases but then I may be looking in the wrong place...

Regards,
Neale NOON

Quote:> Greetings,

> I have recently upgraded databases from SQL Server 6.5, on the development
> machine, to 7.0 on the production machine.

> My initial attempts to transfer the whole database set, in one go (as
> suggested by the 7.0 wizard), failed with Enterprise Manager "hanging" .
> When I upgraded the databases one at a time, all seemed fine. The
databases
> are behaving as expected with all data, stored procedures, foriegn keys
etc.
> intact.

> However any attempt to use the wizards to create diagrams or to use the
> "design table" feature results in Enterprise Manager "hanging". Also I can
> only successfully generate SQL scripts from any of the databases one table
> at a time. If I try to generate the scripts for an entire database the
> Enterprise Manager "hangs" again.

> This installation of SQL Server 7.0 is part of a BackOffice SBS 4.5
package
> and has not yet had SQL Server SP1 applied.

> I am about to do a script rebuild of one of the databases from within
> Enterprise Manager. Is there any known problems with Enterprise Manager
that
> could be causing this behaviour?

> "hangs" means one of the following.

> 1. Script generation proceeds to 20% complete and then there is
intermittent
> disk activity with no apparent continuation of the script generation
> process. Cancel script generation works - eventually.

> 2. Design Table produces some activity. then there is no further response
> from the GUI. Task manager reports Enterprise Manager "not responding".
End
> task works with no apparent ill effects.

> 3. Create Diagram Wizard has the same effect as Design Table.

> 4. In all cases task manager reports CPU Usage fluctuating between 28% and
> 68% with memory usage constant. There is nothing else accessing the server
> at this time.

> TIA

> Regards,
> Neale NOON

1. cannot create table in SQL Server 7.0 using Enterprise Manager of SQL 2000

Hello,

I and developing a site and at the backend using SQL
server. The hosting company has got SQL server 7 installed
and I have Client tools of SQL Server 2000 on my computer.
i.e. I am using Enterprise Manager of SQL 2000 to connect
to SQL server 7. It connects and I am able to see the
table listing. But it will not allow me to create a new
table. Is this a compatiability problem? Is it possible to
create tables in SQL Server 7 using Enterprise Manager of
server 2000.

My hosting company tech support does not have the answer,
they only say that they are able to create the tables
without any problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
David

2. Quaterly Data from Selected Range

3. 7.0 SP4 Enterprise Manager hangs then crashes attempting to open current server log

4. Q: Unwrapped DBMS package bodys

5. SQL 7.0 Enterprise manager hangs.

6. SQL Server Setup and configuration needed ASAP

7. Hiding System Tables in SQL Server 7.0 Enterprise manager

8. Convert Oracle data to EXCEL

9. SQL 7.0 Server Enterprise Manager - open table problem!!!

10. SQL Server 7.0 - Locks on table with Enterprise Manager MMC

11. Hiding the system tables and stored procedures in Enterprise Manager Sql Server 7.0

12. SQL Server Enterprise Manager Console Hangs

13. Enterprise Manager 7.0 Hangs, waittype 0x0040