"TDS buffer length too large" Error

Post by Jarmo Muukk » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

We have many long and complex SELECT statements. Some of them fails with
error "TDS buffer length too large". What does this error mean and how to
avoid it?

SQL Server 6.5. Service Packs does not seem to affect behaviour. We use now
SP5a. Connection to database is through ODBC.

FYI. I know now KB articles Q137026 "PRB: Error TDS Buffer Length too Large"
and Q121258 "PRB: Connect to SQL on NT 3.5 from WFW 3.11 via Named Pipes".

The fun part is that every computer has Windows NT 4.0. Also our server does
not fail with this error, but our client's server fails.

Network packet size on both servers is 4096 bytes. The only protocol in my
PC is TCP/IP.

--
JMu

"TDS buffer length too large" Error

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Jarmo,

Quote:> Subject: "TDS buffer length too large" Error

 It's a bug.  Try a different net-lib

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

"TDS buffer length too large" Error

Post by Jarmo Muukk » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

We have solved the problem, thanks to Neil Pike who lead me to right
direction.

Default Net Library seems to be Named Pipes, which have bugs. We changed it
to TCP/IP Sockets and now our big (7kB) SELECT statement works properly.
Side effect was small improvement of speed.

--
JMu

>We have many long and complex SELECT statements. Some of them fails with
>error "TDS buffer length too large". What does this error mean and how to
>avoid it?

>SQL Server 6.5. Service Packs does not seem to affect behaviour. We use now
>SP5a. Connection to database is through ODBC.

1. "TDS buffer length too large" Error

We have many long and complex SELECT statements. Some of them fails with
error "TDS buffer length too large". What does this error mean and how to
avoid it?

SQL Server 6.5. Service Packs does not seem to affect behaviour. We use now
SP5a. Connection to database is through ODBC.

--
JMu

2. DELPHI + MS.SQL 6.0 ** PERFORMANCE **

3. "TDS Buffer Length too large" error

4. prompt user?

5. Unknown token received, Protocol error in TDS stream, TDS buffer length too large

6. Date Query Issue

7. Newsreader in VB

8. TDS buffer length too large (SQL Error)

9. ODBC error: TDS buffer length too large

10. TDS buffer length too large --- ERROR