Tool to create database subset?

Post by Darren Fulle » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:05:19

Our production databases are growing quite large (40-50Gb) and we would like
to create smaller duplicates for testing and development.  Does any body
know of a tool that can extract a subset of data from a database, while
maintaining referential integrity?

Thanks,

Darren Fuller

Tool to create database subset?

Post by Dwayne Lancl » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 00:50:29

Does your subset consist of certain tables from the database or select rows
from every table in the database?  Either way, I'm sure you could create a
DTS package to do this.

------
Dwayne Lanclos
Microsoft SQL Server Support

Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, please state the version of SQL Server being used and the
error number/exact error message text received, if any.

--------------------

> Our production databases are growing quite large (40-50Gb) and we would
like
> to create smaller duplicates for testing and development.  Does any body
> know of a tool that can extract a subset of data from a database, while
> maintaining referential integrity?

> Thanks,

> Darren Fuller

Tool to create database subset?

Post by Darren Fulle » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 02:32:34

I've identified about 20 tables, out of 400, that contain most of the data.
I would like to trim these tables down e.g. table xyz from 5.3Gb to
100-200Mb.  The difficulty, is choosing a subset of data across these 20
tables which is referentially intact.  Particularly when half our RI is
enforced via triggers.  I'm using ERwin & DTS, but I figured that it's a
common operation (related to archive/purge) and there would be software
packages available.

Thanks,

Darren

Quote:> Does your subset consist of certain tables from the database or select
rows
> from every table in the database?  Either way, I'm sure you could create a
> DTS package to do this.

> ------
> Dwayne Lanclos
> Microsoft SQL Server Support

> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> When posting, please state the version of SQL Server being used and the
> error number/exact error message text received, if any.

1. Tool to create database subset?

Our production databases are growing quite large (40-50Gb) and we would like
to create smaller duplicates for testing and development.  Does any body
know of a tool that can extract a subset of data from a database, while
maintaining referential integrity?

Thanks,

Darren Fuller

2. Looking for AP/U2/D3 work in Melbourne

3. Create and Sychronize subsets of your Oracle Database

4. pgsql/doc/TODO.detail (drop)

5. Creating a subset database file

6. Read only roles or accounts

7. Calculated subtotal of a subset of a subset in a file

8. Forceplan effectiveness

9. Creating a data subset in a grid

10. Creating Multiple Subsets Using Replication

11. Creating subset in same file

12. HELP: Creating your own Visual Database Tools