undo updates using transaction logs

Post by Seth Be » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:12:11

Hi,

I have inadvertently modified 2500 records in my SQLServer 2000 db
(forgot the 'where' predicates in the query!) and need to roll the db
back to just before the update.

I have a complete backup from about 7 days ago but no transaction log
backups.

Is there anyway I can achieve this - without buying any software?!

Thanks in advance,

Seth.

undo updates using transaction logs

Post by Stride » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:13:54

Quote:> Hi,

> I have inadvertently modified 2500 records in my SQLServer 2000 db
> (forgot the 'where' predicates in the query!) and need to roll the db
> back to just before the update.

> I have a complete backup from about 7 days ago but no transaction log
> backups.

> Is there anyway I can achieve this - without buying any software?!

No.

http://www.lumigent.com/

Quote:

Post by Erland Sommarsko » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 08:21:19

> I have inadvertently modified 2500 records in my SQLServer 2000 db
> (forgot the 'where' predicates in the query!) and need to roll the db
> back to just before the update.

> I have a complete backup from about 7 days ago but no transaction log
> backups.

> Is there anyway I can achieve this - without buying any software?!

Depends. If you are running in simple recovery mode, your only
chance is that the unfortunate WHERE clause is still in the log,
and you can use Lumginet's Log Explorer to clean up the mess.

If you have not truncated the log at all since the backup seven days
ago, yes then you can do it. Backup the transaction log, restore the
database, and the make point-in-time recovery of the transaction
which stops just before the time you performed the fatat UPDATE.

--

1. Partly undo from transaction log?

Hi,

we have a weird prolbelm here. A program used for booking our holidays
recently failed and added several hundred days of holiday for each
employee. The source of the bug is yet unknown. Is there a possibility
to undo transactions from the transaction log partly, maybe also to
display the changes to track down the bug?

Every hint would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance,

Christoph Wienands

2. MSDE example

3. HELP: Using UPDATE and transaction log problems

4. BOOK: SQL Server 7 Developer's Guide

5. update table w/o updating transaction log?

6. ASP and VBscript with WebDatablade and DDW

7. UNDO and partially commited transactions

8. Newbie Question

9. Undoing a committed transaction

10. UNDO and partially commited transactions

11. Filling up the Transaction Log during large Update Queries

12. SELECT INTO with UPDATES TO TRANSACTION LOG

13. SQL Updates without SQL Transaction Logging