Help!- Transfer of 40MGs

Post by dweste » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to transfer 40 MGs of data from one SQL Server DB to
another. They are each on a seperate server. The enterprise manager's
see the other DB's no prob, but when I try to transfer the table and
it's data over to one or the other, I get an error message that says...
Transfer was completed. There were errors and warnings.
When I check the log, the errors say...
Unexpected EOF from SQL Server. Connection Broken.
and...
DB Process is dead or not enabled.

Now when I did this same transfer with a smaller table, in the same DB
and only 2mgs of data, all went well, so I'm assuming the problem lies
in the 40 MGs of data somewhere?
What in the world am I doing wrong!!! Please help. Thanks.
    Sincerely frustrated,
    Del

Help!- Transfer of 40MGs

Post by Andrew Prosse » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I am trying to transfer 40 MGs of data from one SQL Server DB to
>another. They are each on a seperate server. The enterprise manager's
>see the other DB's no prob, but when I try to transfer the table and
>it's data over to one or the other, I get an error message that says...
>Transfer was completed. There were errors and warnings.
>When I check the log, the errors say...
>Unexpected EOF from SQL Server. Connection Broken.
>and...
>DB Process is dead or not enabled.

>Now when I did this same transfer with a smaller table, in the same DB
>and only 2mgs of data, all went well, so I'm assuming the problem lies
>in the 40 MGs of data somewhere?
>What in the world am I doing wrong!!! Please help. Thanks.
>    Sincerely frustrated,
>    Del

You probably have a dodgy network, if you split your output file into
smaller segments or FTP your file across and run it locally it might help
as the process is probably timing out.

Regards
--
Andrew Prosser

Help!- Transfer of 40MGs

Post by Vidmantas Mateli » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Just suggestion
Do not transfer large amount of data with transfer manager. Dump db on one
server and load on another. That will be much faster.

If you want to transfer just few tables from specific database, then create
another database on source server . Do SELECT INTO statement :
SELECT * FROM DB1.dbOwner.Table1 INTO DB2.dbOwner.Table1
SELECT * FRMO DB1.dbOwner.Table2 INTO DB2.dbOwner.Table2
Then dump this DB and load into another server. I'm sure it will be much
faster than transfer manager.

I really don't know why you have problems with big tables. There is really
not enough information to make a desicion.

Hope it helps.

Vidmantas Matelis
http://www.netrover.com/~vidma

>I am trying to transfer 40 MGs of data from one SQL Server DB to
>another. They are each on a seperate server. The enterprise manager's
>see the other DB's no prob, but when I try to transfer the table and
>it's data over to one or the other, I get an error message that says...
>Transfer was completed. There were errors and warnings.
>When I check the log, the errors say...
>Unexpected EOF from SQL Server. Connection Broken.
>and...
>DB Process is dead or not enabled.

>Now when I did this same transfer with a smaller table, in the same DB
>and only 2mgs of data, all went well, so I'm assuming the problem lies
>in the 40 MGs of data somewhere?
>What in the world am I doing wrong!!! Please help. Thanks.
>    Sincerely frustrated,
>    Del

Help!- Transfer of 40MGs

Post by Roy Harv » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Del,

You really don't need to post a message to more than a couple of the
news groups.  Posting to all of them wastes the time of the very
people you are asking to help.

In such a situation I simply use BCP.  Since all my servers use the
same sort order and character set I just BCP out in native format to a
file, then back in on the other server.  40MB really isn't that large,
and is certainly small enough for this approach.  Creating a database
and dumping seems like major overkill to me.

It is quite easy to set the entire process, including both BCP
commands, into a bat file that accepts the table name as a parameter.
If you have lots of tables to transfer you can just write another bat
file that calls the first one for each table.

Roy

Help!- Transfer of 40MGs

Post by Andrew Prosse » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

What is a MG is it a MegaGig or Mysterious Group?

Quote:>>I am trying to transfer 40 MGs of data from one SQL Server DB to
>>another.

>>Now when I did this same transfer with a smaller table, in the same DB
>>and only 2mgs of data, all went well, so I'm assuming the problem lies
>>in the 40 MGs of data somewhere?

Help!- Transfer of 40MGs

Post by Raymond Abe » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

maybe your network is not as good as you think....

Quote:> I am trying to transfer 40 MGs of data from one SQL Server DB to
> another. They are each on a seperate server. The enterprise manager's
> see the other DB's no prob, but when I try to transfer the table and
> it's data over to one or the other, I get an error message that says...
> Transfer was completed. There were errors and warnings.
> When I check the log, the errors say...
> Unexpected EOF from SQL Server. Connection Broken.
> and...
> DB Process is dead or not enabled.

> Now when I did this same transfer with a smaller table, in the same DB
> and only 2mgs of data, all went well, so I'm assuming the problem lies
> in the 40 MGs of data somewhere?
> What in the world am I doing wrong!!! Please help. Thanks.
>     Sincerely frustrated,
>     Del

Help!- Transfer of 40MGs

Post by Alan McKelvi » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem with a 200 mbyte database. It turned out that one of
my tables was corrupted and the bad data (tokens) were killing the ODBC
process. Check the log to find which table killed the process, then use
Enterprise Manager (dbcc) to verify that the tables are clean. If not, then
recreate the table (s) with select * into newtable, drop the old table,
recreate the keys, indexes, triggers, defaults and dependencies and rename
newtable to oldtable. Rerun the transfer and it should be ok. If that was
the problem.
luck
arm

Help!- Transfer of 40MGs

Post by Robert Rhode » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I routinely transfer databases via Enterprise Manager of 4000MB up to
14000MB in size with no problem.  I have gotten that same error a few times
and chalked it up to problems in our 100baseT network.  When I did get the
error, I ran the transfer again and it worked okay.

I have noticed that with large databases, assuming you are using a separate
device for data and log, if you size the log device in the destination
database smaller than the source database, the transfer can fail with
mysterious messages of just simply not transfer all the records in some
tables.  I usually check my table counts in the source and destination
database to make sure they are the same after transferring.

Robert

1. Data Transfer - only transferring new or changed rows

I need to run Data Transformation over night (therefore presume DTS package
is best method for scheduling purposes).
I'm getting data out of some tables in one databases, transforming data and
then transferring to tables in another database.

Ideally I want to transfer only new or changed rows. And ideally I want to
avoid triggers since this would add extra load on the main database during
working hours. Is there anyway of finding which rows have changed since a
certain time ?

2. 19180-Nationwide-C++-ORACLE-Java-Data Modeling-GUI-Integration-Process and Workf

3. object transfer transferred only some records, with no error msg

4. CALLING SP INSIDE A TRIGGER

5. Transfer of objects fails to transfer one table

6. VB app for SQL developers

7. File Transfer Protocol Task in DTS - How can I change transfer mode from Binary to Ascii

8. ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel?

9. SQL 6.5 Object Transfer: transfer fails and also destroys source data

10. Transfer Database doesn't transfer stored procedure and triggers

11. full transfer: stored procedures not transferred (6.5 to 6.5)

12. Help ! SQLDMO transfer with image datatype

13. Help: Upgrade Wizard and Transfer of Permission