ODBC Prompts user for login details rather than reporting error

ODBC Prompts user for login details rather than reporting error

Post by AgentComputin » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

We are writing a VB4 server routine to access a remote SQL database via
ODBC.  When connecting, we supply all the login details and password via
the ODBC string in the source parameter of OpenDatabase .

If the database is down or not responding, ODBC tries to prompt the user
for login details.  This is a BATCH program though and there is no one
around the server to respond so the program just sits there!

How can we stop this prompt and get ODBC to report an error back
instead.

Do Microsoft not realise that 'BATCH' programs are still essential to
some computing solutions??

Please help if you can

Thanks  Robin Benton
--
Agent Computing

ODBC Prompts user for login details rather than reporting error

Post by John Gos » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Robin,

Have you tried setting the Prompt property of the connection to
rdDriverNoPrompt.

John Gose

Quote:> We are writing a VB4 server routine to access a remote SQL database via
> ODBC.  When connecting, we supply all the login details and password via
> the ODBC string in the source parameter of OpenDatabase .

> If the database is down or not responding, ODBC tries to prompt the user
> for login details.  This is a BATCH program though and there is no one
> around the server to respond so the program just sits there!

> How can we stop this prompt and get ODBC to report an error back
> instead.

> Do Microsoft not realise that 'BATCH' programs are still essential to
> some computing solutions??

> Please help if you can

> Thanks  Robin Benton
> --
> Agent Computing

ODBC Prompts user for login details rather than reporting error

Post by AgentComputin » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Sounds like a reasonable suggestion and after looking at the ODBC
documentation I can believe we are in the right area
BUT (isn't there always a BUT!)
I have found no way to set this using the jet engine OPENDATABASE
connection string - if there is one that is.

Robin Benton

--
AgentComputing