[LONG] Bug / Problem with SQL Server Desktop Edition (roaming profile no longer saved)

[LONG] Bug / Problem with SQL Server Desktop Edition (roaming profile no longer saved)

Post by Patrick Philippo » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

This is the description of a problem that costed me a half day of work. If
it can spare you hours of hair pulling...

After having installed SQL Server Desktop Editiion on a NT WS system, I
noticed that the roaming profile of the user account that I used to install
was no longer saved to the network server. It was only saved locally. Each
time I tried to logon this user again, the system told me that my local
profile was newer than my roaming profile (for sure, it was no longer
updated). The problem occured even if the SQL Server service was suhtdown
and even if the service was not launched on startup.

Assuming that the problem was related to the SQL Server services anyway, I
loaded the neat NT Service Manager utility that you can find at
(http://www-rnks.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~fsch/english/nttools.htm). It
showed me that the SQLServerAgent service was started under the account that
had been used to install. ***Even if this service is shutdown, this account
remains logged on* (this is easy to see by looking at HK_USERS in the
registry)***.

When you logon using this account, logging off will not trigger any backup
of your roaming profile to the server because the account is still
maintained active by the service process. No error is displayed, your
roaming profile is just not saved. What puzzled me is that the account
remains active even if I shutdown both services (MSSQLServer and
SQLServerAgent).

The solution is to absolutely avoid to specify a domain account for both the
MSSQLServer et SQLServerAgent services when installing SQL Server Desktop
Edition. The installation program proposes the current logged on user
account as a default. I think it's better to use the SYSTEM account for both
services.

Patrick Philippot (MainSoft sarl)

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mainsoft
tel/fax: +33 (0)1 69 40 94 85

[LONG] Bug / Problem with SQL Server Desktop Edition (roaming profile no longer saved)

Post by Patrick Philippo » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

It seems that I have drawn conclusions too quickly.

I have just noticed that the problem *totally disappears* if I remove
DCCMAN.EXE from my "Run" list (DCCMAN is the connection manager for Windows
CE devices - it's a part of Windows CE Services).

I'm currently investigating this problem but SQL Server Desktop edition
doesn't seem to be the only culprit.

Sorry.