Request guidance

Post by JJ » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:01:01

Here is a quick rundown on how things currently work:

Data is recevied from various places in the world, using various databases.
(Outof my control, I have to live with it.) However, all data is receive in
a very specific XML format, and is uploaded to an FTP server.

The received data structure is checked against a DTD for sanity.

If the sanity check passes then SQL picks up the data.

The problem that we are having is the fact that XML/DTD is too rigid. I need
to build in a little wiggle room for some of the fields. Example:

Field name: MyChoice - can be foo or bar only. (This is the current format.)

I need MyChoice to take whatever the endusers are dumping into it. Right
now, everytime someone needs a new choice we have to add it to the DTD.
Which is a PITA. The other problem with the DTD is best explained by this
example:

Record 1  foo Nancy green
Record 2 bar Nancy blue
Record 3 foo Bill green
Record 4 bar Nancy Red

The DTD validation will reject this record set since one of the Nancy's came
after a Bill. In other words, the Nancy's all need to be together. I realize
that the DTD could more than likely be massaged to take care of a lot of
this, but the ultimate question is: Is there a better way to validate the
data structure, and import into SQL other than XML?

Request guidance

Post by Bryant Like » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:29:30

[snip]

Quote:> The DTD validation will reject this record set since one of the Nancy's
came
> after a Bill. In other words, the Nancy's all need to be together. I
realize
> that the DTD could more than likely be massaged to take care of a lot of
> this, but the ultimate question is: Is there a better way to validate the
> data structure, and import into SQL other than XML?

I don't think XML is the problem here. Rather it seems you should get rid of
DTD. Take a look at XML schemas, they do validation for you and are much
more flexible.

http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema

--
Bryant

1. Request guidance for receiving data to SQL

[...]

2. Simple: What is Error "8004043B"?

3. Complete newbie -- requests guidance

4. Could not find row in Sysdatabases problem

5. Newbie Guidance Kindly Requested (simple database connection)

6. Problems with Truncate Table

7. Guidance request = Tree

8. sqlagent jobs schedules inconsistency !???

9. DTS design guidance requested

10. I need some guidance for MCDBA

11. Need Guidance - Will Pay

12. Need guidance on setting FSM parameters

13. Career guidance..advice