SQL7.0 - RAID error on database restore

Post by tony.e.. » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to move a SQL Server 7.0 database from one system to
another and have run into a problem.

I did a backup from the Enterprise Manager to a file and copied the
file to the destination system.  When I try to do a restore, I get the
following error message:

        The RAID set for database 'foo' is missing member
        number 2. Backup or restore operation terminating
        abnormally.

I presume that this error occurs because my destination system does
not have a RAID set -- is there any way to force the restore to
disregard RAID?

I'm kind of surprised to see this message at all.  I wouldn't think
the RAID status of a system is relevant in a backup or restore -- at
least, as far as SQL is concerned.

-- Tony

SQL7.0 - RAID error on database restore

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Tony - when you did the backup you did it to two files at once (striped) - now
you're trying to restore from just one of them...

Quote:> I'm trying to move a SQL Server 7.0 database from one system to
> another and have run into a problem.

> I did a backup from the Enterprise Manager to a file and copied the
> file to the destination system.  When I try to do a restore, I get the
> following error message:

>  The RAID set for database 'foo' is missing member
>  number 2. Backup or restore operation terminating
>  abnormally.

> I presume that this error occurs because my destination system does
> not have a RAID set -- is there any way to force the restore to
> disregard RAID?

> I'm kind of surprised to see this message at all.  I wouldn't think
> the RAID status of a system is relevant in a backup or restore -- at
> least, as far as SQL is concerned.

> -- Tony

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (400 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

SQL7.0 - RAID error on database restore

Post by jp » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Tony,

When you were backing up your database, if there are more than one Backup
devices in the "Destination" list in Enterprise Manager, then SQLServer will
take it that the Database needs to be backed up to more than
one devices in a Striped Set format . So use only 1 device in the
"Destination" list . Remove all the other devices from that list - The
"Remove" Button has been provided for just this.

See BOL for further details .

Then, you would be able to restore from that single file.

HTH,

JP, MCSE

Quote:> I'm trying to move a SQL Server 7.0 database from one system to
> another and have run into a problem.

> I did a backup from the Enterprise Manager to a file and copied the
> file to the destination system.  When I try to do a restore, I get the
> following error message:

> The RAID set for database 'foo' is missing member
> number 2. Backup or restore operation terminating
> abnormally.

> I presume that this error occurs because my destination system does
> not have a RAID set -- is there any way to force the restore to
> disregard RAID?

> I'm kind of surprised to see this message at all.  I wouldn't think
> the RAID status of a system is relevant in a backup or restore -- at
> least, as far as SQL is concerned.

> -- Tony

1. Restore DB from NT-SQL7 to WIN98-SQL7 error

Dear ALL:
            I am backup the database from SQL7.0 at English NT4.0(SP6) , and
restore the database to SQL7.0 at Chinese Windows98, but can not do it, get
the error message: "The database you are attemting to restore was backup up
under different sort order ID(52) than the one currently runing on the
server(197),and at least one of them is non-binary sort order . backup or
restore operation terminating abnormally" the message header is"Microsoft
SQL-DMO(ODBC.SQLSTATE:42000).
            AnyBody can help me, Many Thanks!!!!

Xman

2. HELP WANTED -- Can't connect to database

3. SQL7 Database Restore with ODBC Error

4. pick reference books avail

5. RAID 1+0 with RAID 5 or RAID 0+1 with RAID 5

6. IDC Linux study

7. SQL7, raid NT server , can't make copy of database for testdb - HELP

8. rebuild dependency in sysdepends

9. Restore database error - unable to restore

10. Database restore error - cannot restore

11. SQL7 - Restore causes ODBC error

12. Restore error SQL7

13. SQL7 Restore Error