Reference needed - Current Large (Largest) SQL 7.0 Database?

Reference needed - Current Large (Largest) SQL 7.0 Database?

Post by Bobbi Flemin » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Good evening.

Does anybody know, or have, any references for a site
that has a Terabyte(s) or more of data and uses SQL 7.0?

I found a paper on Microsoft's site which talks about
the Terraserver project. They are over a Terabyte(s) storing
satellite images and what not. However, I'm looking for
actual customers, production, etc.

Any comments.

I'm currently on a project that says they can grow
their database to well over a terabyte(s). Either they
over estimated, poor design, or have a bunch of data.
I'm leaning towards the data myself as there is a lot
of text, images, and international data to support their
claim.

If this is the case, then I'm interested in how others
are currently using SQL Server to address
this large amount of data. I'm used to large amounts
of data, but using Informix and Oracle. I'm sure
many of the principles apply, however this is the
first time I've had a request with SQL Server and
NT.

Thanks for your time, have a good day.

Reference needed - Current Large (Largest) SQL 7.0 Database?

Post by Terry Stove » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Be careful, anything that relies on clustering for scalability qualifies
as bleeding edge.

Terraserver
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/terra_story_barc.asp
commentary
http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/opinion/0706/06wide.html

Unisys 2TB database (more of a real world app)
http://www.unisys.com/sql7/demo.html

MS Scaleable Server Page
http://www.research.microsoft.com/scalable/

You can also look at the TPC home page.  This may be more useful since
they give the hardware configuration and prices.

--

to respond, remove _removeword  from the email address.

Reference needed - Current Large (Largest) SQL 7.0 Database?

Post by Michael Hote » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Worked with 31 over 1TB.  Of those, 4 are over 2TB, 2 over 5TB, and one
currently a little over 12.5TB.  One of these contains some text data.  The
rest are primarily driving some type of medical or scientific research.  The
big one is a true data warehouse that spans a very large company.  We're in
the process of breaking the large one up as it has gotten extremely
difficult to process the data loads and generate the OLAP cubes and data
sets from it.  Don't have any links and that's about all I'm able to say
about the systems without approval from my clients.  I'm comfortable going
into the 5TB range with discrete data (no blobs).

--
Please direct all replies to the newsgroup unless specifically stated
otherwise.

"Aim high. You can never achieve more than you aspire to." - Al Reis