Need urgent help - I cannot start SQL Server 7.0 service

Need urgent help - I cannot start SQL Server 7.0 service

Post by Peter Troja » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I work with SQL server 7.0.   Everything was alright, but once I came to
computer,
started MS Windows2000 ... and my SQL server couldn't start. I don't know
why.
When I start Service Manager, or I try to start it throught Services, it
says ...
MSSQLServer - starting (I think, it waits for some other process)
I have  already reinstalled server and  Windows 2000 but it doesn't help.
I don't know, what I should do.

(maybe format :))

Thank you for any help.

Need urgent help - I cannot start SQL Server 7.0 service

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Peter - look in the SQL errorlog file and see what it says SQL is doing

Quote:> I work with SQL server 7.0.   Everything was alright, but once I came to
> computer,
> started MS Windows2000 ... and my SQL server couldn't start. I don't know
> why.
> When I start Service Manager, or I try to start it throught Services, it
> says ...
> MSSQLServer - starting (I think, it waits for some other process)
> I have  already reinstalled server and  Windows 2000 but it doesn't help.
> I don't know, what I should do.

> (maybe format :))

> Thank you for any help.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Need urgent help - I cannot start SQL Server 7.0 service

Post by Peter Troja » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Neil, thank you for your interest...
My SQL errorlog says nothing ...
(I think, my SQL server doesn't generate any error, because it "thinks",
that it is starting yet)
When I stop the service (it's posible, even if it has not already started)
 in SQL errorlog I can see :   "Service control: stop before startup"

Maybe I can help you with analyzing ... when I try to uninstall, and then
install SQL server again,  it freezed when it says ... Starting service ...
And when I try to use Service Pack II, it says ... Trying to login (or
something like that)...
and it freezes too.
The server is on my computer, and I try to connect to it several hours.

Peter - look in the SQL errorlog file and see what it says SQL is doing

Quote:> I work with SQL server 7.0.   Everything was alright, but once I came to
> computer,
> started MS Windows2000 ... and my SQL server couldn't start. I don't know
> why.
> When I start Service Manager, or I try to start it throught Services, it
> says ...
> MSSQLServer - starting (I think, it waits for some other process)
> I have  already reinstalled server and  Windows 2000 but it doesn't help.
> I don't know, what I should do.

> (maybe format :))

> Thank you for any help.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Need urgent help - I cannot start SQL Server 7.0 service

Post by Peter Troja » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I recollection, In event Viewer -> System Log was Error ... that in registry
MaxMPXct was
wrong value. I've find in MSDN, that correct values are between 1-100
(default 50)
so I set this value to 50.    The error message has been not appear
allready, but the
server is still dead.

Peter - look in the SQL errorlog file and see what it says SQL is doing

Quote:> I work with SQL server 7.0.   Everything was alright, but once I came to
> computer,
> started MS Windows2000 ... and my SQL server couldn't start. I don't know
> why.
> When I start Service Manager, or I try to start it throught Services, it
> says ...
> MSSQLServer - starting (I think, it waits for some other process)
> I have  already reinstalled server and  Windows 2000 but it doesn't help.
> I don't know, what I should do.

> (maybe format :))

> Thank you for any help.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Need urgent help - I cannot start SQL Server 7.0 service

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Peter - don't know what's causing this - I suggest you call MS PSS

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. HELP - cannot start SQL server service - Internal NT error

This is going to be somewhat long and I apologize in advance, but we have a
SQL Server with 15 critical databases which will not start.

Someone added a second processor to our SQL Server last week, but it wasn't
recognizing it.  That person did some research and found that you had to
run a utility found in the NT Resource Kit called Uptomp.exe to have NT
3.51 recognize the second processor.  After running that he basically came
up with a death blue screen.  He tried running the emergency repair disk,
etc. but could not get it to work.

I suggested we upgrade to NT 4.0 (we needed to do it sometime anyway) -
that actually sort of worked - it recognized both processors and we finally
got the right drivers for the NIC card, etc.  The problem is when we try
and start the SQL Server service, it says an "Internal Windows NT error
occurred" - we tried performing an upgrade to SQL server, but when it gets
about 90% through and it tries to start the sql server service we get an
error also.

Does anybody have any ideas of what to try?

Thanks in advance,
Pam

3. Error 1058 on starting SQL Server Agent Service @ SQL 7.0

4. New to make fake counter...

5. Cannot cluster SQL Server 7.0 - Need help ASAP

6. newbie question about script results in SQL

7. Urgent! Cannot start sql server

8. Paradox as active program

9. SQL 7.0 Service Manager error 1069 - (The service did not start due to a logon failure

10. URGENT - SQL Server 7.0 won't start

11. need batchfile / small program that will shut down or start SQL server service from command line

12. Cannot start MSSQL Server Service!

13. How-to Schedule:SQL 7.0 script to stop and re-start SQL service