Generating a Compare/Synch-DB script

Post by Troy Whistma » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

We have two development databases that we want to merge into one.  Most of
the tables are common between them, but one developer was working on one
feature, and another was working on a different feature, and each added
their own tables, stored procedures, etc. to their respective development
databases.

Does anyone know of any tool that can generate a "change/upgrade" SQL script
to get these two databases in synch?  I have tried generating a full script
of each and using the VSS visual merge utility, but it doesn't work since
the order of items listed in each script is not the same (it confuses VSS).
I guess I need something that can say "these xxx objects exist in A but not
in B, script those;  these xxx objects are different in A than in B, script
those".

Any suggestions?

Troy Whistman
Digital MD Systems

Generating a Compare/Synch-DB script

Post by Muke » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Troy,

- Generating and comparing scripts with some utility like windiff is one
way to do this
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/visualc/vcug/_asug_ove...
windiff.htm)
- There are some tools available on the web, you may wish to check these
out or search for more:-
http://www.red-gate.com/
http://www.dkgadvancedsolutions.com/dbdiff.htm

HTH
Mukesh.
--------------------

| Subject: Generating a Compare/Synch-DB script
| Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:47:56 -0600

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming
|
| We have two development databases that we want to merge into one.  Most of
| the tables are common between them, but one developer was working on one
| feature, and another was working on a different feature, and each added
| their own tables, stored procedures, etc. to their respective development
| databases.
|
| Does anyone know of any tool that can generate a "change/upgrade" SQL
script
| to get these two databases in synch?  I have tried generating a full
script
| of each and using the VSS visual merge utility, but it doesn't work since
| the order of items listed in each script is not the same (it confuses
VSS).
| I guess I need something that can say "these xxx objects exist in A but
not
| in B, script those;  these xxx objects are different in A than in B,
script
| those".
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Troy Whistman
| Digital MD Systems

1. Comparing schemas and generating SQL scripts

Does anyone know of a tool which would allow me to compare 2 databases
schemas and create the SQL scripts required to convert one of the
schemas to the other?

The Progress RDBMS has such a feature and is very useful.

I want to use such a feature to enable automatic updating of database
schemas on notebooks, running out software, located throughout the
country.

--
John Robinson
Senior Software Developer

2. File structure of paradox database.

3. auto-generate db change script ?

4. Help please on date problem

5. Benchmarking to Generate File Scripts for DB

6. Conversion of Universe account to D3/Linux 7.1.0

7. How to generate script of a db

8. How to retrieve Blob data via ODBC

9. How to generate script of db using sp

10. generate db script

11. Generating SQL DB Scripts

12. generating all objects from db via script

13. Generating script for object of a DB schema...