Changing prices and desgin

Post by Gary Thornto » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:11:35

Hi everyone,
has anyone any suggestions for a db design that would allow a quote / order
processing system to cope with ever changing prices?
The system has a part_list table and quotes are produced against this, but
by the time the order is placed the price may have changed. The system must
produce the order details as per original quote and use "old" prices. One
slight complication is also that the quote can also be revised aswell,
although I don't think this would effect the old price problem.
Currently we have the prices of the parts in a separate table, which also
contains the date of the price change (datetime and part_id compound primary
key). The system just checks for first "older" price change than the quote.
This works ok, but we were just wondering if anybody has a better solution
or could point us to somewhere that would illustrate alternative approaches.

Thanks in advance
Gary Thornton.

Changing prices and desgin

Post by Ranganatha » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 23:08:42

Since price come into picture, need to be very careful and
document the changes.
I would suggest a third table called "Price_Change" with
PartID, Part_PriceID, Price, Updated_By.
Now we can store the PartID and Part_PriceID in the quote
table.

Ranga

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi everyone,
>has anyone any suggestions for a db design that would

allow a quote / order
Quote:>processing system to cope with ever changing prices?
>The system has a part_list table and quotes are produced
against this, but
>by the time the order is placed the price may have

changed. The system must
Quote:>produce the order details as per original quote and

use "old" prices. One
Quote:>slight complication is also that the quote can also be
revised aswell,
>although I don't think this would effect the old price
problem.
>Currently we have the prices of the parts in a separate
table, which also
>contains the date of the price change (datetime and

part_id compound primary
Quote:>key). The system just checks for first "older" price

change than the quote.
Quote:>This works ok, but we were just wondering if anybody has
a better solution
>or could point us to somewhere that would illustrate

alternative approaches.
Quote:

>Thanks in advance
>Gary Thornton.

>.

1. Replicating Desgin Changes

I'm new at replicating with SQL Server, but have a lot of experience with
Jet replication.

In Jet replication it is easy to replicate degin changes (e.g. adding an
extra column in the Master Design will add the column in all the replicas).
Can this be done with SQL server / merge replication ?

If not, how do you add a column to a table in a published database?

Any answer appreciated

Richard Badenhop
The Netherlands

2. help for compiling libpq sample program

3. Did Price Change Happen

4. Lowest 5 Percentages

5. how to handle changing prices

6. PDXW50 Report GroupBand Breakable Property Not Working?

7. price to change Oracle 8.0.4 to Oracle 8i

8. Help optimizing this procedure

9. Price to change Oracle 8.0.4 to Oracle 8i

10. Informix pricing changes???

11. 4.5 dos refer price change alerts

12. price to change Oracle 8.0.4 to Oracle 8i

13. Updating Prices with the lowest price