SQL Server via Port 80

SQL Server via Port 80

Post by DS » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:33:44



I have a VB program developed as a desktop client using ADO. Server is SQL
2000. How can I contact my server from the client using port 80 instead of
1433 ?

Thanks

DS

 
 
 

SQL Server via Port 80

Post by Don Peterso » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:55:37


You can change the port by using the Server Network Utility.


Quote:> I have a VB program developed as a desktop client using ADO. Server is SQL
> 2000. How can I contact my server from the client using port 80 instead of
> 1433 ?

> Thanks

> DS


 
 
 

SQL Server via Port 80

Post by DS » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 05:05:55


Thanks for your response. I am afraid that it will not work becasue the SQL
Server is listenning on port 1433 while the IIS server is listenning on port
80. Both SQL and IIS reside on the same box.

DS


Quote:> You can change the port by using the Server Network Utility.

 
 
 

SQL Server via Port 80

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:12:03


If you can't change that IIS uses port 80 and still want to use port 80 from your client, then
the request need to pass through IIS. And it can in the form of an URL. The result need to be
XML formatted. There's a program icon in the SQL Server program group called "Configure SQL XML
Support in IIS".
But, this will of course mean you have to write your app differently...

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...


> Thanks for your response. I am afraid that it will not work becasue the SQL
> Server is listenning on port 1433 while the IIS server is listenning on port
> 80. Both SQL and IIS reside on the same box.

> DS



> > You can change the port by using the Server Network Utility.

 
 
 

SQL Server via Port 80

Post by DS » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:03:50


"Tibor Karaszi"

Quote:> If you can't change that IIS uses port 80 and still want to use port 80

from your client, then
Quote:> the request need to pass through IIS. And it can in the form of an URL.

The result need to be
Quote:> XML formatted. There's a program icon in the SQL Server program group

called "Configure SQL XML

Quote:> Support in IIS".
> But, this will of course mean you have to write your app differently...

thanks,

reprogramming is not feasible. i guess will have to disable iis server and
move it to a new box

ds