Larger strings in SQL Server 6.5

Post by Xavier Aspa » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi all!

Is there any data type that allows more than 255 characters using SQL
Server 6.5? If not ... could you tell me how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Xavi.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Larger strings in SQL Server 6.5

Post by Russell Brid » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Yes, check out the text datatype. There are, however a lot of restrictions
on its usage.

Larger strings in SQL Server 6.5

Post by BPMargoli » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Xavier,

As Russell has replied, SQL Server has a limit of 255 on CHAR datatypes,
however you can use TEXT datatypes so store more than 255 bytes.

As you may know, SQL Server 7.0 has expanded the limit on the CHAR datatype
to 8000 bytes, so if you need a compelling reason to upgrade to SQL Server
7.0, this may be it.

Quote:> Hi all!