Moving databases and data devices to new server in SQL 6.5

Moving databases and data devices to new server in SQL 6.5

Post by Atif But » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:31:17

I have SQL databases and devices which are on SQL 6.5.  The server which
runs the SQL 6.5 is old hardware and we recently got a brand new computer.
I would like to move all the SQL databases and related devices from this old
server to the new SQL 6.5 server.

Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Atif *

Moving databases and data devices to new server in SQL 6.5

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:10:18

If you have identical directory structure between the machines, you can just stop SQL
Server and copy over all database files. Otherwise, use backup and restore.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.veryComputer.com/

> I have SQL databases and devices which are on SQL 6.5.  The server which
> runs the SQL 6.5 is old hardware and we recently got a brand new computer.
> I would like to move all the SQL databases and related devices from this old
> server to the new SQL 6.5 server.

> Any suggestions on how I can do this?

> Atif *

1. Moving SQL Server 6.5 Databases/application to new Server

I'm pretty new to SQL Server.  I'm running SQL Server 6.5 over NT3.51 on an
outdated server.  I have a replacement server which has NT 4.0 SP4 and SQL
Server 6.5 SP5a loaded on it.  My plan is to run a full backup of the
existing SQL Server using ArcServe and restore the data to my new box on
which I have created the devices and the databases.

Is this the best way to do this?  If not, any suggestions?

2. Replication to a gateway

3. Help moving SQL Server 6.5 databases to new machine

4. Image insertion and retreival in oracle8.0.5

5. Moving all databases from one SQL 6.5 server to another SQL 6.5 s erver

6. using DAO on a network?

7. Moving database from shared device to new device

8. opening database in Access

9. Move SQL Server 6.5 to new Server

10. moving SQL 6.5 database to another 6.5 server

11. Moving Devices and SQL Server to a New Physical Location

12. moving databases to new hardware in SQL 6.5

13. HELP.. moving SQL Server 6.5 to new hardware