Refresh Test Environment help help help

Post by Narayanan Kallamvall » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:22:07

Hi All,
        I have two instances of Sql server 2000(Test and
Production) running on my machine.I am trying to refresh
the test environment with  production production
environment.I backed up  the prodcution user  database and
restored in test and it worked fine.Now I need to move all
my production DTS packages to Test.So I backed up the MSDB
database and tried to restore in Test.But it gives an
error saying that the MSDB is in use.I do not see anybody
using that.

 My questions

1.Is there any better way other than backing up MSDB and
restoring it to move DTS packages?

2.What is the reason for getting the error message MSDB is
in use?

3.When I move DTS packages do I have to do something to
the MASTER database?

4.What is the best way to find out whether Test and
Production are in sync?

Thanks in advance for the help

1.

Refresh Test Environment help help help

Post by John Bel » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:24:04

Hi

This may help!
http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?6,105,204,0,1

John

Quote:> Hi All,
>         I have two instances of Sql server 2000(Test and
> Production) running on my machine.I am trying to refresh
> the test environment with  production production
> environment.I backed up  the prodcution user  database and
> restored in test and it worked fine.Now I need to move all
> my production DTS packages to Test.So I backed up the MSDB
> database and tried to restore in Test.But it gives an
> error saying that the MSDB is in use.I do not see anybody
> using that.

>  My questions

> 1.Is there any better way other than backing up MSDB and
> restoring it to move DTS packages?

> 2.What is the reason for getting the error message MSDB is
> in use?

> 3.When I move DTS packages do I have to do something to
> the MASTER database?

> 4.What is the best way to find out whether Test and
> Production are in sync?

> Thanks in advance for the help

> 1.

Refresh Test Environment help help help

Post by Allan Mitchel » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 04:16:02

Hello, John!

In addition to John's comment I would seriously look at seperating Test and
Production onto different boxes.

Test for me means very volatile, can up and down the server frequently.
This would affect the prodcution environment.

--

Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
MCSE,MCDBA

: This may help!
: http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?6,105,204,0,1

: John

??>> Hi All,
??>>         I have two instances of Sql server 2000(Test and
??>> Production) running on my machine.I am trying to refresh
??>> the test environment with  production production
??>> environment.I backed up  the prodcution user  database and
??>> restored in test and it worked fine.Now I need to move all
??>> my production DTS packages to Test.So I backed up the MSDB
??>> database and tried to restore in Test.But it gives an
??>> error saying that the MSDB is in use.I do not see anybody
??>> using that.
??>>
??>>  My questions
??>>
??>> 1.Is there any better way other than backing up MSDB and
??>> restoring it to move DTS packages?
??>>
??>> 2.What is the reason for getting the error message MSDB is
??>> in use?
??>>
??>> 3.When I move DTS packages do I have to do something to
??>> the MASTER database?
??>>
??>> 4.What is the best way to find out whether Test and
??>> Production are in sync?
??>>
??>> Thanks in advance for the help
??>>
      ---  Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106

Refresh Test Environment help help help

Post by Nk » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:28:01

Thanks John and Allan.It helps alot

Narayan

1. help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,

Hi,
I have a small problem, and if you know the answer I would really be
thankful for your help.
I have an access database which is called "Client.mdb"
on a form, I displayed a dbcombox for the costumer's name
a textbox for the address
a textbox for the city
a textbox for the state
and a textbox for the zipcode

on all my textboxes and the dbcombobox I have set their Datasource and
Datafield properties to Data1,
when I run the program the information on the first record of the data shows
on the form,

but what I need to do is, when I change the costumer's name on the
dbcombobox (which displays all of the costumer's names on it) I want the
textboxes to show the address, city, state, and zipcode of the costumer I
have choosen,

Thank you in advance,
Enrique G Lugo

2. Evaluation Version & Log Shipping?

3. Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,

4. PDXWIN4.5-Writing an ASCII delimited file with using EXPORT!

5. help help help help help help help help help

6. SQL "Group By" question

7. SQL To ORACLE Help Help Help Help Help

8. Client Tools on SQL 7.0

9. query:HELP! HELP HELP HELP HELP

10. Help: testing Data Environment Connection

11. HELP HELP Auto number of VFP at insert trigger under multi-user environment

12. Help help help help

13. HELP HELP HELP HELP!