data import source = odbc link destination=sql server 2k with stored procedure

data import source = odbc link destination=sql server 2k with stored procedure

Post by Gazi » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:40:51

Hi,

I want to import data from an odbc linked database. The source database is
progress, linked with the Openlink Odbc connection. If i use DTS, i get
(known) problems because there is a memo field in the source table. Here it
was recommended to use a stored procedure instead of a DTS.

As i am a newby with sql server, i don't know how. Could someone please help
me with this. Examples and so are welcome.

Thanx

Gazi

Information:
Source= Progress 9.1
odbc= Openlink Generic 32 Bit Driver
destination=SQL Server 2000

data import source = odbc link destination=sql server 2k with stored procedure

Post by Lenn » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:40:10

Try using openrowset function.
SELECT a.*
FROM OPENROWSET('MSDASQL',
   'DRIVER={whatever ODBC driver};SERVER=serverName;UID=id;PWD=password',
   'select * from dbName.ownerName.tableName) AS a

ODBC should map provider data type to SQL Server types.

Quote:> Hi,

> I want to import data from an odbc linked database. The source database is
> progress, linked with the Openlink Odbc connection. If i use DTS, i get
> (known) problems because there is a memo field in the source table. Here
it
> was recommended to use a stored procedure instead of a DTS.

> As i am a newby with sql server, i don't know how. Could someone please
help
> me with this. Examples and so are welcome.

> Thanx

> Gazi

> Information:
> Source= Progress 9.1
> odbc= Openlink Generic 32 Bit Driver
> destination=SQL Server 2000

1. linking ODBC data source in Sql Server 7

I have configured a system dsn for foxpro 2.6.   I then created a link using
enerprise manager to this dsn.  I used ole db for odbc provider.  When I
click on tables icon, I could see the table.  However, when I am querying
it, I get a message7313 (Invalid schema or catalog specified).  The sql is
'select * from school...attendance'.  Also, when I link the same table in
access 2000 using the same dsn, it works.  Could anyone tell me what I am
doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

2. Locate next using bookmark on paradox7 table

3. Import data to SQL server database using stored procedure

4. Free Newsletter Announcement - 1/1/99

5. ODBC data source from within a stored procedure?

6. Visual FoxPro Report s- Help!

7. Getting Stored Procedures to extract data from ODBC source

8. FoxBase+ file - need to view!

9. Linked Server with ODBC data source generating an error

10. linked server to odbc data source turns all queries into select * from table

11. SQL Server linked tables in Access 2K databases using ODBC

12. Help With Importing Data to SQL Server 2K

13. Getting Data from ODBC links Stored Procedures