sp_OA OLE Automation Proplem

Post by ken_shap.. » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Have you heard of anyone having problems instantiating dlls coded in VB
via SP_OACreate inside SQL 7.

My compents were able to run on 6.5 which used the ODSOLE32.DLL. Now
7.0 uses the ODSOLE70.DLL. I can run my custom components on the same
server as 7.0 but only through a VB Automation Controller and Active X
Sript in a DTS Package. However, SP_OACreate will not instantiate my
custom com objects. I can instantiate DTS and DMO without a problem via
SP_OACreate on SQL 7. I am set up as System Administrator.

When I try to instiate the custom com objects I get the following
message:

OLE Automation Error Information
HRESULT: 0x80040154
Source: ODSOLE Extended Procedure

How can the class not be registered if i can run my com object(s)
through VB and DTS Active X sripting on the same server?

Yours Truly,

Ken Shapley

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

sp_OA OLE Automation Proplem

Post by Darren Gree » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>Have you heard of anyone having problems instantiating dlls coded in VB
>via SP_OACreate inside SQL 7.

>My compents were able to run on 6.5 which used the ODSOLE32.DLL. Now
>7.0 uses the ODSOLE70.DLL. I can run my custom components on the same
>server as 7.0 but only through a VB Automation Controller and Active X
>Sript in a DTS Package. However, SP_OACreate will not instantiate my
>custom com objects. I can instantiate DTS and DMO without a problem via
>SP_OACreate on SQL 7. I am set up as System Administrator.

>When I try to instiate the custom com objects I get the following
>message:

>OLE Automation Error Information
>HRESULT: 0x80040154
>Source: ODSOLE Extended Procedure

>How can the class not be registered if i can run my com object(s)
>through VB and DTS Active X sripting on the same server?

>Yours Truly,

>Ken Shapley

I've written a couple of DLLs which have worked fine in SQL7, I've never
tried them on SQL 6.5.

What version of VB? (5)
Any references to other components? (MSOLAP, DTS, ADO and other home-
made DLLs)

I assume you just use Regsvr32 to register them.

Not much help I know but it's somewhere to start.
--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

sp_OA OLE Automation Proplem

Post by ken_shap.. » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I reference ADO 2.O in serveral of my older DLLs. They were coded in
VB6. My newer Dll references DTS. Did you have SQL 6.5 previously
installed or installed on the computer that you are running SQL 7?

writes

> >Have you heard of anyone having problems instantiating dlls coded in
VB
> >via SP_OACreate inside SQL 7.

> >My compents were able to run on 6.5 which used the ODSOLE32.DLL. Now
> >7.0 uses the ODSOLE70.DLL. I can run my custom components on the same
> >server as 7.0 but only through a VB Automation Controller and Active
> >Sript in a DTS Package. However, SP_OACreate will not instantiate my
> >custom com objects. I can instantiate DTS and DMO without a problem
via
> >SP_OACreate on SQL 7. I am set up as System Administrator.

> >When I try to instiate the custom com objects I get the following
> >message:

> >OLE Automation Error Information
> >HRESULT: 0x80040154
> >Source: ODSOLE Extended Procedure

> >How can the class not be registered if i can run my com object(s)
> >through VB and DTS Active X sripting on the same server?

> >Yours Truly,

> >Ken Shapley

> I've written a couple of DLLs which have worked fine in SQL7, I've
never
> tried them on SQL 6.5.

> What version of VB? (5)
> Any references to other components? (MSOLAP, DTS, ADO and other home-
> made DLLs)

> I assume you just use Regsvr32 to register them.

> Not much help I know but it's somewhere to start.
> --
> Darren Green
> SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

sp_OA OLE Automation Proplem

Post by Darren Gree » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I reference ADO 2.O in serveral of my older DLLs. They were coded in
>VB6. My newer Dll references DTS. Did you have SQL 6.5 previously
>installed or installed on the computer that you are running SQL 7?

I've only used DLLs on machines which had SQL7 with a clean install.
I'll try this on a previous 6.5 machine next week.

What SP are you running. I had a bad experience with SP1 when using the
DTS Package object library directly (but all my DLLs where fine!). RTM
and  SP2 didn't have this problem.

I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest. I've had problems with ADO in the
past, where the compiling machine had a different version to the machine
it was installed on, but this wouldn't just affect sp_OAxx, it would
happen in VB etc as well.

--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

sp_OA OLE Automation Proplem

Post by Kenneth Shaple » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Darren, thanks for your gracious responses. I have SP2 installed. I'm
not allowed to test on production machines at work. These are the only
clean 7.0 installs that we have.  I do not have a true mirrored test box
of production. As soon as I chase down a clean box that has NT4 SP 6a
and SQL 7 SP 2, I'm going to confirm that a previous install of 6.5
creates the problem.

Yours Truly,

Ken Shapley

> >I reference ADO 2.O in serveral of my older DLLs. They were coded in
> >VB6. My newer Dll references DTS. Did you have SQL 6.5 previously
> >installed or installed on the computer that you are running SQL 7?

> I've only used DLLs on machines which had SQL7 with a clean install.
> I'll try this on a previous 6.5 machine next week.

> What SP are you running. I had a bad experience with SP1 when using the
> DTS Package object library directly (but all my DLLs where fine!). RTM
> and  SP2 didn't have this problem.

> I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest. I've had problems with ADO in the
> past, where the compiling machine had a different version to the machine
> it was installed on, but this wouldn't just affect sp_OAxx, it would
> happen in VB etc as well.

> --
> Darren Green
> SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

sp_OA OLE Automation Proplem

Post by Darren Gree » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Ken,

I have tried my PadFileVB.dll
(http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/PaddingTask.asp) on a SQL 7
SP2, previously 6.5 SP?, NT4 SP5 machine. I had no problems at
all I'm afraid.

Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

sp_OA OLE Automation Proplem

Post by ken_shap.. » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

If I figure out what the heck is causing this, I'll let you know.

Quote:> Ken,

> I have tried my PadFileVB.dll
> (http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/PaddingTask.asp) on a SQL 7
> SP2, previously 6.5 SP?, NT4 SP5 machine. I had no problems at
> all I'm afraid.

> Darren Green
> SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/
> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

sp_OA OLE Automation Proplem

Post by ken_shap.. » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Any COM compenent DLLs that are compiled as single threaded in VB do
not work through the spOA Automation procedures. When I recompiled my
components to Apartment Threaded, they work fine. Can you confirm?

Quote:> Ken,

Post by Darren Gree » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Any COM compenent DLLs that are compiled as single threaded in VB do
>not work through the spOA Automation procedures. When I recompiled my
>components to Apartment Threaded, they work fine. Can you confirm?

>> Ken,

>> I have tried my PadFileVB.dll
>> (http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/PaddingTask.asp) on a SQL 7
>> SP2, previously 6.5 SP?, NT4 SP5 machine. I had no problems at
>> all I'm afraid.

>> Darren Green
>> SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/
>> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
>Network *
>> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
>Free!

Sorry Ken, it worked fine again when I re-compiled as Single.
At least you've got it working though.

--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

1. sp_OA OLE Automation Problem

Have you heard of anyone having problems instantiating dlls coded in VB
via SP_OACreate inside SQL 7.

My compents were able to run on 6.5 which used the ODSOLE32.DLL. Now
7.0 uses the ODSOLE70.DLL. I can run my custom components on the same
server as 7.0 but only through a VB Automation Controller and Active X
Sript in a DTS Package. However, SP_OACreate will not instantiate my
custom com objects. I can instantiate DTS and DMO without a problem via
SP_OACreate on SQL 7. I am set up as system adminstrator

When I try to instiate the custom com objects I get the following
message:

OLE Automation Error Information
HRESULT: 0x80040154
Source: ODSOLE Extended Procedure

How can the class not be registered if i can run my com object(s)
through VB and DTS Active X sripting on the same server?

Yours Truly,

Ken Shapley

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. LONDON/City - Sybase or SQL Server DBA's - Gain ODBMS - To £60,000 + Bonus

3. array returned by OLE Automation property

4. ODBC Problems

5. OLE Automation Error

6. Accessing Exchange Global Address List

7. OLE Automation fails in stored procedure

8. Please, Help!

9. OLE Automation in trigger

10. OLE Automation Extended Stored Procedures

11. dts & ole automation stored proc

12. Ole Automation and TSQL

13. SQL and OLE Automation - add to Collection method