Truncating the Transaction Log

Post by Giedrius » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:30:29

Hello,

I have log file more that 4GB while data file is 4.5GB.
I've tried to truncate log file, but size of the file doesn't chenged.
Where is the problem?

Giedrius2

Truncating the Transaction Log

Post by Wei Pen » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:57:19

I think your log device is 4G, you can use "dbcc checktable (syslogs)" to
see log size.

Wei

Quote:> Hello,

Post by Malcolm Ferguso » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 06:12:42

> Hello,

> I have log file more that 4GB while data file is 4.5GB.
> I've tried to truncate log file, but size of the file doesn't chenged.
> Where is the problem?

> Giedrius2

It could be something to do with the active part of the log being near
the end.  If you are using SQL Server 7 (I don't know about 2K), you
might like to look at sp_force_shrink_log by Andrew Zanevsky.  It works
for us.  You can find it included in this message:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sp_force_shrink_log+Andrew+Zanevsky...

HTH
Malc