Row width limit when importing fixed width files (SQL 7.0)

Row width limit when importing fixed width files (SQL 7.0)

Post by Adam Albrechta » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am attempting to import a datafeed file into a MSSQL 7.0 database.
The file was exported from Oracle (not sure which version) as a fixed
width text file.  The block size(row width) of the records in the text
file is 5610.  When I am defining the columns during the import I
cannot define a column past position 4096 in MSSQL 7.0.  Is there any
way around this limitation?

Adam

Row width limit when importing fixed width files (SQL 7.0)

Post by Neil Pik » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Adam - do you have SP1 applied?  Can't remember if this one is fixed in SP1 or
the (as yet un-released) SP2.

Quote:> I am attempting to import a datafeed file into a MSSQL 7.0 database.
> The file was exported from Oracle (not sure which version) as a fixed
> width text file.  The block size(row width) of the records in the text
> file is 5610.  When I am defining the columns during the import I
> cannot define a column past position 4096 in MSSQL 7.0.  Is there any
> way around this limitation?

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (356 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Row width limit when importing fixed width files (SQL 7.0)

Post by Adam Albrechta » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Neil,

No SP1 and I didn't see a fix for the problem in its fixlist, but I'll
try applying it and see what happens.

Do you know when SP2 is coming out or where I can find a tenative
fixlist for it?

Thanks,

Adam

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 11:39:44 GMT, Neil Pike

>Adam - do you have SP1 applied?  Can't remember if this one is fixed in SP1 or
>the (as yet un-released) SP2.

>> I am attempting to import a datafeed file into a MSSQL 7.0 database.
>> The file was exported from Oracle (not sure which version) as a fixed
>> width text file.  The block size(row width) of the records in the text
>> file is 5610.  When I am defining the columns during the import I
>> cannot define a column past position 4096 in MSSQL 7.0.  Is there any
>> way around this limitation?

Row width limit when importing fixed width files (SQL 7.0)

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Adam - there are a lot more fixes in SP1 than the fix-list lists.

Quote:> No SP1 and I didn't see a fix for the problem in its fixlist, but I'll
> try applying it and see what happens.

I don't know a date for SP2, but I'd say it's at least 6 weeks out as it hasn't
entered beta yet.

Quote:> Do you know when SP2 is coming out or where I can find a tenative
> fixlist for it?

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (356 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. Import Wiz Fixed width column indicator limit?

When using the DTS Import wizard to import a text file with fixed width
columns, I can only set column breaks within the first 4010 positions.
The wizard will not mark anything after that point (I click at the
desired position and nothing happens).  The max length of any row
within the file is within the 8000 per row limit.

The text file being imported was exported from another (identical) SQL
Server DB using DTS export wizard to create a fixed width text file.

I am running SQL Server 7.00 - no service packs applied - under Windows
2000.

Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Performance benchmarks on HPUX based servers

3. fixed width - dynamically set column widths

4. Error: 15457, Severity: 0, State: 1

5. DTS error - fixed field width - considers width of first line only

6. Windows NT Workstation?

7. Importing a fixed width text file

8. BTRIEVE 5.00 for DOS

9. Import long record, fixed width text file questions

10. Importing a fixed width text file

11. DTS - Last Row in Fixed Width Text File Source Ignored

12. Importing fixed width text file into access.

13. DTS Creating nulls on fixed width file import