Log Shipping fails after successful setup and loads

Log Shipping fails after successful setup and loads

Post by David Schwar » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 04:20:19



Setup log shipping on two production servers (W2K Adv. Server/SQL 2000
Enterprise Ed.)

Setup is straightforward, with all shares properly created and log
backup/copy/restores going to the appropriate locations. On last
attempt, the log shipping routines ran every minute for over thirty
minutes and then the following error messages appears in the SQL log
on the receiving server:

FCB::Open failed: Could not open device e:\(..)\RepTickets.mdf for
virtual device number(VDN) 1.

The above file/path to the .mdf file is correct (truncated for this
posting).

I've tried using default 15 minute intervals, 5 minute intervals and
most recently 1 minute intervals. All fail eventually (within an hour)
with the same error messages.

Have also tried different monitor servers (both on a third server and
also on the receiving server). As well as different authentication
protocols (windows based and also the built-in sql shipping proble
login) with the same type of failures.

Anyone out there able to assist or provide guidance (I've been through
all the MSFT docs I could find but believe I am configuring
correctly...)

 
 
 

Log Shipping fails after successful setup and loads

Post by Raj Gil » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 07:16:27


David,
When the problem occurs check to see if the access to the share where this
file exist works. There might be a network or share access problem during
that time. Also verify if there are no handles open on that file. You can
use the handle.exe utility which can be downloaded from
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/handle.shtml to verify who has
the file open.

rgill


Quote:> Setup log shipping on two production servers (W2K Adv. Server/SQL 2000
> Enterprise Ed.)

> Setup is straightforward, with all shares properly created and log
> backup/copy/restores going to the appropriate locations. On last
> attempt, the log shipping routines ran every minute for over thirty
> minutes and then the following error messages appears in the SQL log
> on the receiving server:

> FCB::Open failed: Could not open device e:\(..)\RepTickets.mdf for
> virtual device number(VDN) 1.

> The above file/path to the .mdf file is correct (truncated for this
> posting).

> I've tried using default 15 minute intervals, 5 minute intervals and
> most recently 1 minute intervals. All fail eventually (within an hour)
> with the same error messages.

> Have also tried different monitor servers (both on a third server and
> also on the receiving server). As well as different authentication
> protocols (windows based and also the built-in sql shipping proble
> login) with the same type of failures.

> Anyone out there able to assist or provide guidance (I've been through
> all the MSFT docs I could find but believe I am configuring
> correctly...)