Scheduled backups not happening.

Post by Pabl » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up a scheduled backup for a SQL server.  I use the
maintenance plan wizard to set up the backup plan.  I point it to the
database I want backed up, and set the backup to occur at a given time
(say, midnight).  I'm not thoroughly familiar with SQL 7.0, but this
process seems very straightforward.  However, when the magic time comes
for the database to 'auto' backup, nothing happens, and no backups
appear in the 'mssql\backup\' directory.  The wizard seems so
straightforward, that I've been completely stumped as to why the backup
didn't occur.

I've been very, very careful to make sure that I 'change' the defaults
from 'weekly' to once daily.  So the backup *should* be occurring once a
day.  I figure that there's something patently obvious that I'm
overlooking, or there's something very subtle that I'm not
understanding.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Scheduled backups not happening.

Post by Allan Mitchel » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Pablo
Can you backup the database ad-hoc ie
BACKUP DATABASE <Name> to disk = <filepath>

What account is the Agent running under as this is the guy who will be
doing the backup.

Can you right click on the maintenance plan and kick it off directly.

What Happens

What does the sql error log say if anything.

Allan

Quote:

--

Allan Mitchell
MCSE

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Scheduled backups not happening.

Post by Pabl » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Actually, I figgered it out.  I read your message, and thought that the
login might be the problem, but after about an hour of tinkering, the login
didn't seem to be the problem.  The solution was that the SQLAGENT in the NT
services control panel was set to 'manual'.  This appears to be the
'default' state upon installation of SQL.  After turning that agent on, the
backup took off automatically.

> Pablo
> Can you backup the database ad-hoc ie
> BACKUP DATABASE <Name> to disk = <filepath>

> What account is the Agent running under as this is the guy who will be
> doing the backup.

> Can you right click on the maintenance plan and kick it off directly.

> What Happens

> What does the sql error log say if anything.

> Allan

> > I'm trying to set up a scheduled backup for a SQL server.  I use the
> > maintenance plan wizard to set up the backup plan.  I point it to the
> > database I want backed up, and set the backup to occur at a given time
> > (say, midnight).  I'm not thoroughly familiar with SQL 7.0, but this
> > process seems very straightforward.  However, when the magic time
> comes
> > for the database to 'auto' backup, nothing happens, and no backups
> > appear in the 'mssql\backup\' directory.  The wizard seems so
> > straightforward, that I've been completely stumped as to why the
> backup
> > didn't occur.

> > I've been very, very careful to make sure that I 'change' the defaults
> > from 'weekly' to once daily.  So the backup *should* be occurring
> once a
> > day.  I figure that there's something patently obvious that I'm
> > overlooking, or there's something very subtle that I'm not
> > understanding.

> > Any insight would be appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Paul

> --

> Allan Mitchell
> MCSE

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Scheduled backups not happening.

Post by Allan Mitchel » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Pablo
So Long as it works

Allan