sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds

sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds

Post by Dana Da » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm getting an odd message in the error log:
sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds
It is not accompanied by an error number.
The message is usually in close proximity to backups and to error 17824.

Any ideas?

Dana Day

sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds

Post by Richard Waymir » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Bob actually stands for something inside of the server, and I had a note
about this somewhere but can't find it right now.  So, you're getting some
kind of valid error about an internal SQL Server problem...  Is this 6.5 or
7.0?

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm getting an odd message in the error log:
> sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds
> It is not accompanied by an error number.
> The message is usually in close proximity to backups and to error 17824.

> Any ideas?

> Dana Day

sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Richard - Big Output Buffer.  Couldn't you have searched the source code?  ;-)

Quote:> Bob actually stands for something inside of the server, and I had a note
> about this somewhere but can't find it right now.  So, you're getting some
> kind of valid error about an internal SQL Server problem...  Is this 6.5 or
> 7.0?

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Dana,

Quote:> I'm getting an odd message in the error log:
> sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds
> It is not accompanied by an error number.
> The message is usually in close proximity to backups and to error 17824.

Q.  What does the SQL Server error message "sort: bob write not complete after
xx seconds." mean?

A.  Bob is the Big Output Buffer.  It is used for writing out intermediate
tables created during a sort.  Because it is doing heavy sequential writes it
can stress the disk subsystem.

As long as SQL Server carries on, and no other errors are being reported, then
there is nothing to worry about.  They are merely showing that the disk
subsystem is unable to keep up with the level of i/o that SQL Server is asking
it to do.  SQL just waits and retries these requests.

To up the amount of time that SQL waits before issuing this message and
retrying amend the "resource timeout" parameter via sp_configure.

You MAY need to decrease your max async io or max lazywrite io if these errors
are continuous.  Or invest in a faster disk subsystem.  Or spread your devices
across more of your existing spindles.

Also make sure that non-SQL processes are not causing disk contention.

===

v1.00 1999.05.05
Applies to SQL Server versions  : 6.x
FAQ Categories                  : Troubleshooting
Related FAQ articles            : n/a
Related Microsoft Kb articles   : n/a
Other related information       : n/a
Authors                         : Neil Pike
 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds

Post by Dana Da » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Neil,
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help.
How do you find out about these kinds of things?
Are you really a mssqlserver.exe?
Dana Day

* Sent from Devdex.com http://www.devdex.com The Web Developers Index *
The world's largest index site for Microsoft web technologies.

sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds

Post by Dana Da » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Richard,
Sorry, the server is 6.5.
Dana

> Bob actually stands for something inside of the server, and I had a note
> about this somewhere but can't find it right now.  So, you're getting some
> kind of valid error about an internal SQL Server problem...  Is this 6.5
or
> 7.0?

> --
> Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA

> > Hi,

> > I'm getting an odd message in the error log:
> > sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds
> > It is not accompanied by an error number.
> > The message is usually in close proximity to backups and to error 17824.

> > Any ideas?

> > Dana Day

sort: bob write not complete after 10 seconds

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help.
> How do you find out about these kinds of things?

 Dana - I have my sources and a very good memory...

Quote:> Are you really a mssqlserver.exe?

 Just for some of the day ;-)