Henderson's new Guru's Guide book

Post by Tom Hass » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:00:58

The title is "The Guru's Guide to Stored Procedures, XML, and HTML."
I'm wondering if anyone has read this book and what they think of it.
I have his first book and am tempted to order the new one based on
that alone.  I'm wanting a book that shows how to build xprocs from
start to finish.  I can code in C and C++, but I've never built an
xproc.  I want to know how to build them, debug them, optimize them,
etc.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Tom Hassel

Post by Stuart Beckh » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:03:29

> The title is "The Guru's Guide to Stored Procedures, XML, and HTML."
> I'm wondering if anyone has read this book and what they think of it.
> I have his first book and am tempted to order the new one based on
> that alone.  I'm wanting a book that shows how to build xprocs from
> start to finish.  I can code in C and C++, but I've never built an
> xproc.  I want to know how to build them, debug them, optimize them,
> etc.

Tom,

I just got this from Amazon, and it's a wonderful book.  Even better
than the first one (if you can believe that).  What I like about this
one is that it balances theory and pratical concerns so well.  On the
one hand, the book has over 700 code samples on everything from xprocs
to XML to UDFs to C# code.  On the other, it's not just a solutions
cookbook.  Henderson delves into the "why" as much as he does the
"how."  That's really rare for a technical book in my experience.

To your question, there's great xproc coverage in this book.  I worked
through the step-by-step tutorial on building one called "xp_exec" the
other day.  It lets you execute any code you want from a UDF including
all the stuff SQL Server normally forbids.  It was a piece of cake.
The text is so lucid and well thought out that you learn without
really realizing it.

And I can't say enough about the XML coverage.  The book has several
chapters on the XML features in SQL Server 2000, including an intro
chapter on XML itself for those who don't yet know the language.  I've
gone from barely knowing how to spell XML to using SQL Server's
advanced XML features in a matter of days.  I found the XML coverage
worth the price of the book alone and don't know how I ever got along
without it.

So, I'd say if you liked the first Guru's Guide book, I'll bet you'll
like this one, too, especially if you're wanting to learn to build
xprocs.

Hope that helps,

Stuart

Henderson's new Guru's Guide book

Post by Kim Eva » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:57:05

And don't forget the xp_array xprocs.  I loved those.  Now T-SQL has
arrays!  There's also an xproc (xp_set_priority I think) that lets you
change the priority of a connection to speed it up.  I haven't played
with it yet, but I plan to.

And who would ever have thought of applying design patterns to SQL?
The chapter on T-SQL design patterns was a real eye-opener.

Also the database design chapter was the best I've ever read on the
subject.  It is what I was expecting Celko's Data & Databases to be.

And one last thing. The essays at the end are full of valuable
insights and show off some great writing.  I wish all my computer
books were this well written.

I knew I had to have this one when I saw that Ron Soukup wrote the
forward.  He has been one of my favorites since his Inside SQL Server
book.

<-Kim

Henderson's new Guru's Guide book

Post by Ken Henderso » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:18:00

Hi Tom,

I'm the author of the book you're asking about.  I'm reluctant to recommend
my own book (note that my last name isn't Celko :o) but I will say that it
covers the topic you're asking about -- extended procedures -- and that it
covers it in a depth similar to that seen in my last book, which it appears
you may have read.

There is a chapter dedicated to xprocs that teaches you how to create them
from start to finish.  There are also several others that touch on xprocs or
show how to use them or incorporate custom xprocs into your work.  As one of
the other replies mentioned, there's also a chapter on arrays that shows how
to add arrays to T-SQL using xprocs and system functions.  So, for example,
you can do stuff like this:

-----
foo

The arrays chapter shows you how to build all of this -- from scratch --
using UDFs and xprocs.  So, if you're wanting to learn to build xprocs, my
book may be of some use.

Good luck,

-kh

Quote:> The title is "The Guru's Guide to Stored Procedures, XML, and HTML."
> I'm wondering if anyone has read this book and what they think of it.
> I have his first book and am tempted to order the new one based on
> that alone.  I'm wanting a book that shows how to build xprocs from
> start to finish.  I can code in C and C++, but I've never built an
> xproc.  I want to know how to build them, debug them, optimize them,
> etc.

> Any recommendations appreciated.

> Tom Hassel

Henderson's new Guru's Guide book

Post by Joe Celk » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:25:29

Quote:>> I'm the author of the book you're asking about. I'm reluctant to

recommend my own book (note that my last name isn't Celko :o)  <<

There is no need to be ashamed.  Modesty and humility are treatable
conditions in the 21-st century.  In fact, I myself am a recovering
humble person.  Okay, I never had a serious case, there were bouts at
times in my life.

--CELKO--
 ===========================
schema are.

Henderson's new Guru's Guide book

Post by Ken Henderso » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:57:32

Quote:> There is no need to be ashamed.  Modesty and humility are treatable
> conditions in the 21-st century.  In fact, I myself am a recovering
> humble person.  Okay, I never had a serious case, there were bouts at
> times in my life.

> --CELKO--
>  ===========================

I've noticed that a couple of the forum regulars have been trying to help
you with your humility problem lately :o)

-kh

1. Ken Henderson's Guru's Guide to XML and Stored Procedures book

Hi all,

I flipped through this book the other night at a local bookshop and
have some questions about it.  I hope some of you programming geniuses
can help me.

First let me say that I have Henderson's other Guru's Guide book and I
really like it.  I just have a few questions before I fork over my
hard-earned $$ for another book.  My wife says I have too many already
:-)

What I would like to know is how this new book differs from the other
one.  I'm tempted to buy it just because Henderson wrote it.  Is it
worth it?  Is it worth my money?  What version of SQL Server does it
cover?  I came away from the other book feeling like I had been
immersed in the Transact-SQL language.  I sometimes reread parts of it
because there's so much there.  Is this one the same way?  What will I
come away from it with that I don't already get from the other Guru's
Guide book?

Ken, if you read this, I guess I'd like to know two things: 1. why did
you write it?  2. who is the little boy in the picture near the front
of the book?  He looks familiar.

Thank you.

J. Sellers

2. BREAK converts backslash

3. Guru's Guide to SQL Server XML book

4. ADO Connection Extremely slow to disconnect in MTS

5. Which of Ken Henderson's Guru's Guides should I get?

6. Suggest a book

7. Foxpro Mac Developer's Guides...books

8. BOOK: SQL Server 7 Developer's Guide

9. Help with book: C/S Developer's Guide

10. What's a good PostgreSQL guide book?