Importing Entire VFP database into SQL Server

Importing Entire VFP database into SQL Server

Post by Tim » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:09:20

Another novice here . . .
(NT4 SP6 / SQL7 SP3)

This is a one time operation for any of our clients who are moving to SQL
Server from VFP.  The tables already exist in SQL7, but are empty.
Needless to say, the files are large (1GB+ aggregate)

I've used the wizard to at least create a DTS package. But then I have to go
into each work flow diagram and select the table lock option so that the
package does not create any transaction logs . . . there are 100+ tables.
What is the fastest way to do this?

Also, over time, the structures of both databases will change.
The structure of some of the SQL tables differ from those in VFP (mostly
that a identity field has been added) So I would have to continually
recreate this huge package every time there is a structure update.
Is there a way I can create a package programmatically?

Is there another way to do this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Importing Entire VFP database into SQL Server

Post by Patrick Tur » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:49:15

Hi!

I got the feeling that your importing or upsizing problem has a lot to do
with your hardware. If you are importing VFP database directly from one
computer and also keep the result in the same computer. I think you have
more or less a hardisk space problem which would result to structure changes
due to corruption or loss of data, may also give blank tables in SQL .

Try upszing or importing VFP database from another computer or server and
initiate the upzing or importing from another server over the network that
has also a lot of space.

Speed? I was able to import 6GB database into SQL in just a few minutes...

Hope this will help.

/patrick

Quote:> Another novice here . . .
> (NT4 SP6 / SQL7 SP3)

> This is a one time operation for any of our clients who are moving to SQL
> Server from VFP.  The tables already exist in SQL7, but are empty.
> Needless to say, the files are large (1GB+ aggregate)

> I've used the wizard to at least create a DTS package. But then I have to
go
> into each work flow diagram and select the table lock option so that the
> package does not create any transaction logs . . . there are 100+ tables.
> What is the fastest way to do this?

> Also, over time, the structures of both databases will change.
> The structure of some of the SQL tables differ from those in VFP (mostly
> that a identity field has been added) So I would have to continually
> recreate this huge package every time there is a structure update.
> Is there a way I can create a package programmatically?

> Is there another way to do this?

> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

> Thanks in advance,
> Tim

Importing Entire VFP database into SQL Server

Post by Tim » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:48:56

Sorry,

It is not an error that causes structure changes. As the product evolves, we
change the structures ourselves. The issue is that I have to create an
unweildy package that require column mappings into a new SQL database. I
need to do this everytime our structures change.

I'm new to this and am hoping that there is either an another way to do
this, or there is a way to automate the creation of packages.

What is upsizing, a wizard?

Thanks
Tim

Importing Entire VFP database into SQL Server

Post by Rush Stron » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:16:14

You might want to look at xCase (www.xcase.com), which is a design tool that
supports multiple backends.

 - Rush

Quote:> Another novice here . . .
> (NT4 SP6 / SQL7 SP3)

> This is a one time operation for any of our clients who are moving to SQL
> Server from VFP.  The tables already exist in SQL7, but are empty.
> Needless to say, the files are large (1GB+ aggregate)

> I've used the wizard to at least create a DTS package. But then I have to
go
> into each work flow diagram and select the table lock option so that the
> package does not create any transaction logs . . . there are 100+ tables.
> What is the fastest way to do this?

> Also, over time, the structures of both databases will change.
> The structure of some of the SQL tables differ from those in VFP (mostly
> that a identity field has been added) So I would have to continually
> recreate this huge package every time there is a structure update.
> Is there a way I can create a package programmatically?

> Is there another way to do this?

> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

> Thanks in advance,
> Tim

Importing Entire VFP database into SQL Server

Post by Patrick Tur » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:45:21

Sorry , I was wrong.

Upsizing is the same as importing. Yes, there is an upsizing wizard in VFP.

/patrick

Quote:> Sorry,

> It is not an error that causes structure changes. As the product evolves,
we
> change the structures ourselves. The issue is that I have to create an
> unweildy package that require column mappings into a new SQL database. I
> need to do this everytime our structures change.

> I'm new to this and am hoping that there is either an another way to do
> this, or there is a way to automate the creation of packages.

> What is upsizing, a wizard?

> Thanks
> Tim

Importing Entire VFP database into SQL Server

Post by Mike » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:33:49

First to look at your initial quesiton.  Check out this KB article as I think it will tell you want you are looking for:

[Q242391] INF: DTS Package Development, Deployment and Performance

Then regarding your issue.  I'm not certain why structure changes on your target side should require changes to your DTS package?

Since it is a conversion routine you are talking about.  If you create a conversion for say your customer file.  Won't the customer ID field always fetch the same information?  Regardless of how many additional columns you place into the target table?  Or are you still changing data types and field sizes on existing columns that might pose an issue?