ODBC Timeout Expired Erro!!

Post by Robert Strig » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm using SQL7 SP1 everything was working fine until I started adding some
data to my existing database.  It is now approx 7.8M records and over 3GB in
size.  I am getting Timeout expired errors constantly now to the point where
the program is somewhat unusable.  Could someone please help me out..  Is
this a trait of SQL7 when dealing with larger size databases.  I was using
SQLAnywhere before and it handled it fine I was looking for a performance
gain in going withn SQL7 but as of yet have received none...

thanks in advance, rks...

ODBC Timeout Expired Erro!!

Post by Steve Foste » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

There are several possibilities to look at here. However, the first step
should be to get the Profiler up and running & see which bits of sql are
taking too long.

You may find your indexing strategy needs re-examining. Or it may be
that your server is not set to 'update statistics' for itself
(auto-updating is a new feature in 7).

'update statistics' is used to build information about index composition
so that the query optimization processes can make intelligent decisions.

If your data has changed significantly, and the statistics have not been
updated, SQL will make bad decisions on the method of query execution -
net result = slow queries.

Another useful place to go is SQL Books Online & look up 'Query Tuning'.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Conversation: ODBC Timeout Expired Erro!!
Subject: ODBC Timeout Expired Erro!!