Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Post by SUNI » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 01:54:09

daily Iam printing seagate crystal reports using ole automation functions of
sql server. This sql server is our backup server. Once in a week i have to
reboot this server since every day the memory usage increases. There are no
major applications which are running on the backup sql server.

Please help me with any pointers or info or suggestions.

Thanks
Sunil.

Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Post by Keith Wo » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:21:51

What SQL Server version are you on? If SQL 2000, make sure you are on SP1 or could be running into Q282229
-Keith

=========================
*  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
*  You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved
*
*  Please do not send email directly to this alias.
=========================
--------------------

|>Subject: Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports
|>Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:54:09 -0500

|>daily Iam printing seagate crystal reports using ole automation functions of
|>sql server. This sql server is our backup server. Once in a week i have to
|>reboot this server since every day the memory usage increases. There are no
|>major applications which are running on the backup sql server.
|>
|>Please help me with any pointers or info or suggestions.
|>
|>Thanks
|>Sunil.

Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Post by Alasdair Cunningham-Smit » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:52:20

Could get a developer to run SQL on the backup server under the control of
CompuWare (NuMega) BoundsChecker - that will tell you more about the
problem.

HTH

--
Cheers,

Alasdair Cunningham-Smith
MCSD MCSE MCDBA

Quote:> daily Iam printing seagate crystal reports using ole automation functions
of
> sql server. This sql server is our backup server. Once in a week i have to
> reboot this server since every day the memory usage increases. There are
no
> major applications which are running on the backup sql server.

> Please help me with any pointers or info or suggestions.

> Thanks
> Sunil.

Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Post by SUNI » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:46:20

We are on SQL70 with SP3
thanks
sunil

Quote:> What SQL Server version are you on? If SQL 2000, make sure you are on SP1

or could be running into Q282229
> -Keith

> =========================
> *  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
> *  You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved
> *
> *  Please do not send email directly to this alias.
> =========================
> --------------------

> |>Subject: Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using

seagate crystal reports
Quote:> |>Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:54:09 -0500

> |>daily Iam printing seagate crystal reports using ole automation
functions of
> |>sql server. This sql server is our backup server. Once in a week i have
> |>reboot this server since every day the memory usage increases. There are
no
> |>major applications which are running on the backup sql server.
> |>
> |>Please help me with any pointers or info or suggestions.
> |>
> |>Thanks
> |>Sunil.

Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Post by SUNI » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:54:08

Thanks

> Could get a developer to run SQL on the backup server under the control of
> CompuWare (NuMega) BoundsChecker - that will tell you more about the
> problem.

> HTH

> --
> Cheers,

> Alasdair Cunningham-Smith
> MCSD MCSE MCDBA

> > daily Iam printing seagate crystal reports using ole automation
functions
> of
> > sql server. This sql server is our backup server. Once in a week i have
> > reboot this server since every day the memory usage increases. There are
> no
> > major applications which are running on the backup sql server.

> > Please help me with any pointers or info or suggestions.

> > Thanks
> > Sunil.

Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Post by Keith Wo » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 04:30:50

Are you sure it's a leak? SQL will not voluntarily give up memory if there is no memory pressure.
Are there any memory related errors in the SQL Errorlog? Will SQL eventually stop responding if you don't reboot?
-Keith

=========================
*  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
*  You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved
*
*  Please do not send email directly to this alias.
=========================
--------------------

|>Subject: Re: Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports
|>Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 13:46:20 -0500
|>
|>We are on SQL70 with SP3
|>thanks
|>sunil

|>> What SQL Server version are you on? If SQL 2000, make sure you are on SP1
|>or could be running into Q282229
|>> -Keith
|>>
|>> =========================
|>> *  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
|>rights.
|>> *  You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All
|>rights reserved
|>> *
|>> *  Please do not send email directly to this alias.
|>> =========================
|>> --------------------

|>seagate crystal reports

|>functions of
|>no

Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Post by SUNI » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 05:53:29

Hi Keith,   I check memory using task manager every day and it increases.
If i disable the print job everything works fine.  I did not find anything
in the error log.

We cannot connect to sql server and neither we can stop the service. Iam
destroying all objects used in ole automation.
Do you think this can be due to Seagate Crystal Reports.?
Thanks
Sunil.

Quote:> Are you sure it's a leak? SQL will not voluntarily give up memory if there

is no memory pressure.
Quote:> Are there any memory related errors in the SQL Errorlog? Will SQL

eventually stop responding if you don't reboot?
> -Keith

> =========================
> *  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
> *  You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved
> *
> *  Please do not send email directly to this alias.
> =========================
> --------------------

Quote:> |>Subject: Re: Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using

seagate crystal reports
> |>Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 13:46:20 -0500
> |>
> |>We are on SQL70 with SP3
> |>thanks
> |>sunil

SP1
> |>or could be running into Q282229

> |>rights.
> |>rights reserved

> |>seagate crystal reports

> |>functions of
> |>no

Memory Leak with Ole Automation in SQL Server when using seagate crystal reports

Post by Keith Wo » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 12:52:10

Not familiar with Crystal Reports internals. How are you 'destroying' all objects? Do you lots of inactive processes and you are killing them? If so, check out Q284443.
How much memory does your server have? Are you also using lots of distributed queries?
-Keith