domain accounts vs. local accounts

Post by Don Baarn » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I never understood the differences between using a local account vs. a
Domain account when running SQL Server.

I've always used domain accounts but I'd like to be clear about the
differences between the two in terms of actual usage.

Any comments?

Don Baarns

domain accounts vs. local accounts

Post by Carlos Eduardo Roja » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

If you are going to perform activities that involve other servers (for
example, taking backups and storing them in other server), you have to use
domain accounts.
--
Hope this helps,,
Carlos Eduardo Rojas

Quote:> I never understood the differences between using a local account vs. a
> Domain account when running SQL Server.

> I've always used domain accounts but I'd like to be clear about the
> differences between the two in terms of actual usage.

> Any comments?

> Don Baarns

1. Local System Account or Domain Account For SQL Server Service

For SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition on Windows 2000 Advanced
Server, should we use the local system account to run the SQL Server
Service, or a Windows domain account?  I understand some of the
benefits of using a domain account for the agent e.g. SQL Mail,
although this is not supported for SQL Server clusters, but am
clueless when it comes to the server service.

Also, are there some security issues with using the local system
account?  Can a stored procedure writer use xp_cmd to do something
nasty, like format C:\ ?  If so, what kind of privs do you need to
give to your domain account?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Ken

2. exclusive access while updating a table in a stored procedure

3. Service Account vs. Local System Account

4. Firing a Web-browser

5. Are you a DBA?

6. Domain vs Local Account

7. Click Event Handler

8. changing the sqlserver account to a domain account

9. How to find out present setting if LocalSystem account or This Account(Domain)

10. confusion between local system account and this account in services log on as

11. Moving from Domain to Local Account

12. SQL Agent Proxy Account: Syntax for Local Domain