How to connect to Windows NT 4.0 Server via RAS as networked drive

How to connect to Windows NT 4.0 Server via RAS as networked drive

Post by Jeffrey K. Fiel » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Alles,

I have a client running Windows NT Server 4.0 and SqlServer 6.5.  With
Windows 95, I set up my ODBC to the SqlServer and configured RAS to
dial-in to the office connecting as Drive (f).  I'm brand new to
running Windows NT and even newer at administering/configuring under
it.

I upgraded to Windows NT Server 4.0 myself and now I can't get a drive
connected through RAS.  I can connect to the Server okay and I get the
connection message I'm being registered on their system.  However,
I can't ping them and I can get a drive configured?

Any help greatly appreciated.

How to connect to Windows NT 4.0 Server via RAS as networked drive

Post by Rollan Mosk » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Do you see the remote computer in the Network neighborhood? If you don't
you probably don't have Netbeui enabled (either on the server or the
client.)

I had other problems connecting up to a NT 4.0 server from a win95 client
that got resolved by setting the default user name on my win95 machine
at home to a valid user on the
NT 4.0 server. I somehow had a user name for my ISP in the registry which
needed to change. I changed the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/CurrentUser value to my
network username at work and things started working.

Hope this helps,
        Rollan

Rollan Mosko
DR Systems Inc.

--

Quote:> Alles,

> I have a client running Windows NT Server 4.0 and SqlServer 6.5.  With
> Windows 95, I set up my ODBC to the SqlServer and configured RAS to
> dial-in to the office connecting as Drive (f).  I'm brand new to
> running Windows NT and even newer at administering/configuring under
> it.

> I upgraded to Windows NT Server 4.0 myself and now I can't get a drive
> connected through RAS.  I can connect to the Server okay and I get the
> connection message I'm being registered on their system.  However,
> I can't ping them and I can get a drive configured?

> Any help greatly appreciated.

How to connect to Windows NT 4.0 Server via RAS as networked drive

Post by Mikel García Cantabran » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

hosts and lmhosts files works miracles!!

Quote:> Alles,

Post by Stepha » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Alles,

> I have a client running Windows NT Server 4.0 and SqlServer 6.5.  With
> Windows 95, I set up my ODBC to the SqlServer and configured RAS to
> dial-in to the office connecting as Drive (f).  I'm brand new to
> running Windows NT and even newer at administering/configuring under
> it.

> I upgraded to Windows NT Server 4.0 myself and now I can't get a drive
> connected through RAS.  I can connect to the Server okay and I get the
> connection message I'm being registered on their system.  However,
> I can't ping them and I can get a drive configured?

> Any help greatly appreciated.

check the routing tables on both systems, that is your server at home
and the ras server in the office. maybe your ping gets there but not
back.

put the names and ip-addr of servers in the lmhosts file (in
<winroot>\system32\drivers\etc).

do you use a WINS server? that would help a lot too.

                                                       __
Stephan Carstens                                      / /\
- Trainer -                                          / /  \
Hewlett-Packard,                             __     /_/ /\ \
Bad Homburg, Germany                        /_/\  __\ \ \_\ \

Telephone: ++49 6172 161196                  \ \ \/  \\ \  /
Snail Mail: Hewlett-Packard                   \ \  /\ \\ \ \
Hewlett Packard Str. 1                         \ \ \ \ \\ \ \
61352 Bad Homburg                               \ \ \_\/ \ \ \
Germany                                          \ \ \    \_\/
                                                  \_\/

How to connect to Windows NT 4.0 Server via RAS as networked drive

Post by Shan McArthu » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

If you are this inexperienced, install NetBEUI as
a second protocol on the server and on the client.
It is a configuration-less protocol that works
wonders on RAS and on the network.  TCP/IP is a
difficult protocol if you do not have it set up
correctly, and especially if you are not using
WINS and DHCP.

Shan

> Alles,

> I have a client running Windows NT Server 4.0 and SqlServer 6.5.  With
> Windows 95, I set up my ODBC to the SqlServer and configured RAS to
> dial-in to the office connecting as Drive (f).  I'm brand new to
> running Windows NT and even newer at administering/configuring under
> it.

> I upgraded to Windows NT Server 4.0 myself and now I can't get a drive
> connected through RAS.  I can connect to the Server okay and I get the
> connection message I'm being registered on their system.  However,
> I can't ping them and I can get a drive configured?

> Any help greatly appreciated.

1. Connecting to SQL Server via RAS in NT 4.0

I am having a problem connection to SQL Server 6.5 through RAS on
Windows NT 4.0.  I have a dual boot machine with NT 4.0 and Win95.  I
have no problem connecting to SQL through 95.  When I reboot into NT
and try to connect to the SQL database it tells me that the server
can't be found.  I have TCP/IP setup exactly the same in both
operating systems.  What am I missing with the NT setup?  Thanks for
your help.

Joe K

2. Oracle 8.0.5 client n32 libraries for IRIX

3. Foxpro 2.6/Windows NT Server Network error on Drive ?:

4. Passing parameters to stored procedures

5. Windows NT 3.51 Server migration to Windows NT 4.0 Beta 2 and INFORMIX Products

6. JDBC Connections / Connection Manager Problems...

7. Connecting Developer 2000 for Windows to Personal Oracle 7 for Windows NT 4.0

8. Splitting in Microsoft Decision Trees

9. Connecting BDE to SQL Server 7.0 via Windows NT Authentication

10. Connect to SQL Server via RAS

11. SQL Server 2000 and NT 4.0 RAS

12. Connecting BDE to SQL Server 7.0 via Windows NT Authentication

13. Connecting Access 2.0 on NT 4.0 with SQL 6.5 via ODBC