Anyone interested in WYSIWYG (XSL based) XML editor

Anyone interested in WYSIWYG (XSL based) XML editor

Post by Min Zhen » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 16:41:54

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this. However, I don't
know many places with a lot of XML people around. I just hope to be able to
reach as many people who love XML as possible.

---------------------------

I have been developing some XML editing tools that support XML, XSL and
DTD/Schema editing. In addition to normal editing features, there are some
features (some of them are quite unique) worth noting:

. XSL based WYSIWYG editing:
There are editors supporting WYSIWYG editing, such as XMetal. However, they
are using CSS that doesn't involve transformation. XSL based WYSIWYG
editing, however, needs to translate changes on a transformed document (e.g.
HTML) into changes in the original XML document. In my editing tools, this
is done by using my patent pending technology that establishes mappings
between original and transformed documents.

. Error-proof editing in all the editors (i.e. XML editor, XSL editor and
Schema editors)
No editing actions that may spoil the wellformness or validality of an XML
document are allowed. Any editing actions will always generate valid
results. This is true in all the views, including source view. If the XML
document has an DTD or Schema, the editor will control the editing to follow
the structure of DTD/Schema. This changes the paradigm of XML editing from
editing and validating to editing, editing and editing.

. Interlinked multiple views
The primary UI of XML editor is a side by side structure (tree) and document
(WYSIWYG or Source) views, plus several tool windows. All these views are
interlinked, that is, any actions in one view are automatically reflected in
other windows.

. Content-sensitive element/attribute listing and auto-completion
When inserting an element, a pull-down list shows only the valid elements at
the point of insertion (not like some editors that show all the elements
available in the document). Once an element is selected, the editor
automatically creates the element and any sub-elements required by its
DTD/Schema. This feature is available for both wellformed and validated
document editing.

. Direct Database editing
Query database as XML, edit in the editor and then update

. User friendly XSL editing with WYSIWYG XSL template editing and two way
mappings between XSL source and output results (source with tags or
preview). Users can easily see what in a template generate what output and
what output is generated by what in which template.

. Structure based and rule based XML Schema (also supporting other formats)
editor that allows a user to define schemas without knowing the syntax of
the schemas.

. Many more features such as: multiple views, undo/redo, import/export,
schema generation from XML, changing XSL while editing,

I have finished the major parts of these tools and most features are already
in place. However, due to finacial contrains, I have to go out to find some
extra funds in order to have the final push. If anyones or organizations are
interested in funding such a product, please contact me. I'm willing to
consider all kind of proposals, including transfering ownership.

Min

Anyone interested in WYSIWYG (XSL based) XML editor

Post by Erik Hedlun » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 17:24:26

This sounds like a really, really good - in fact the best
solution I've ever heard of in this context. Keep up the
work. I'm not in any position to support you, but this
tool is something that's gonna hit "HARD"!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

------------------
>---------------------------

>I have been developing some XML editing tools that

support XML, XSL and
Quote:>DTD/Schema editing. In addition to normal editing

features, there are some
Quote:>features (some of them are quite unique) worth noting:

>.. XSL based WYSIWYG editing:
>There are editors supporting WYSIWYG editing, such as

XMetal. However, they
Quote:>are using CSS that doesn't involve transformation. XSL
based WYSIWYG
>editing, however, needs to translate changes on a

transformed document (e.g.
Quote:>HTML) into changes in the original XML document. In my
editing tools, this
>is done by using my patent pending technology that

establishes mappings
Quote:>between original and transformed documents.

>.. Error-proof editing in all the editors (i.e. XML

editor, XSL editor and
Quote:>Schema editors)
>No editing actions that may spoil the wellformness or

validality of an XML
Quote:>document are allowed. Any editing actions will always
generate valid
>results. This is true in all the views, including source
view. If the XML
>document has an DTD or Schema, the editor will control

the editing to follow
Quote:>the structure of DTD/Schema. This changes the paradigm of
XML editing from
>editing and validating to editing, editing and editing.

>.. Interlinked multiple views
>The primary UI of XML editor is a side by side structure
(tree) and document
>(WYSIWYG or Source) views, plus several tool windows. All
these views are
>interlinked, that is, any actions in one view are

automatically reflected in
Quote:>other windows.

>.. Content-sensitive element/attribute listing and auto-
completion
>When inserting an element, a pull-down list shows only

the valid elements at
Quote:>the point of insertion (not like some editors that show
all the elements
>available in the document). Once an element is selected,
the editor
>automatically creates the element and any sub-elements
required by its
>DTD/Schema. This feature is available for both wellformed
and validated
>document editing.

>.. Direct Database editing
>Query database as XML, edit in the editor and then update

>.. User friendly XSL editing with WYSIWYG XSL template
editing and two way
>mappings between XSL source and output results (source
with tags or
>preview). Users can easily see what in a template

generate what output and
Quote:>what output is generated by what in which template.

>.. Structure based and rule based XML Schema (also

supporting other formats)
Quote:>editor that allows a user to define schemas without

knowing the syntax of
Quote:>the schemas.

>.. Many more features such as: multiple views, undo/redo,
import/export,
>schema generation from XML, changing XSL while editing,

>I have finished the major parts of these tools and most

features are already
Quote:>in place. However, due to finacial contrains, I have to
go out to find some
>extra funds in order to have the final push. If anyones

or organizations are

Quote:>interested in funding such a product, please contact me.

Post by Erik Hedlun » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 17:24:24

> [...]

knowing the syntax of
Quote:>the schemas.

>.. Many more features such as: multiple views, undo/redo,
import/export,
>schema generation from XML, changing XSL while editing,

>I have finished the major parts of these tools and most

features are already
Quote:>in place. However, due to finacial contrains, I have to
go out to find some
>extra funds in order to have the final push. If anyones

or organizations are

Quote:>interested in funding such a product, please contact me.
I'm willing to
>consider all kind of proposals, including transfering
ownership.

>Min

>.

Anyone interested in WYSIWYG (XSL based) XML editor

Post by Min Zhen » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 04:12:38

I post the following note a while ago and received a bunch of positive
version or snapshots. I just quickly put together a few web pages with some
snapshots. For those who are interested, you can take a look at
http://www.geocities.com/zmin_1998/home.html. For those expecting running
demo version, you may have to wait for a bit longer.

Cheers,
Min

---------------------------

[...]

Post by Mark Wilso » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:56:47

Hi Min (and other developers).

If you're keen to get exposure for your project, we'd be happy to host a
copy of your appication.  We already host these two free XSLT Editors:
http://www.veryComputer.com/*.com
http://www.veryComputer.com/ (opensource)
and we also market the *absolutely fantastic* Xselerator (which I have
mentioned recently on some groups):
http://www.veryComputer.com/

At Topxml and VBXML.COM we're keen to help startups like yourself get some
"airtime" and attention with our 7,000 daily visitors.  You can just upload
your code and thousands of people will use it and give you feedback.  Our
groups are VERY active in this way.

Feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
Mark Wilson.

Quote:> I post the following note a while ago and received a bunch of positive