Slowness accessing TEXT datatype.

Post by Microsoft News Grou » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 21:16:56

Hi,

I am experiencing unusual slowness in accessing TEXT datatype in SQL Server
2000. Here is the configuration.

 - machine is dual-process Intel P3 with about 2GB memory.
 - SQL Server version is 8.00.194(RTM)
 - 100 rows in the table
 - Each entry in TEXT datatype has about 64K of data

The query time is about 13sec using Query Analyser locally on the machine.

The same data on a simple desktop machine performs much better.
Configuration
of this desktop is

 - Intel P3 ~700MHz with about 256 KB memory.
 - SQL Server version is 8.00.194(RTM)
 - data is exactly the same.

The query time is about 1 sec  using Query Analyser locally on the machine.

Am I missing any configuration parameters that is causing the more powerful
machine to perform really bad ?

1. Conversion of Text datatype to Image datatype

Hello,
I know this is not strictly a FTS question. I have a number of htm-files
stored in a column of the Text data type. Is it possible to convert this
data to the Binary data type in order to use the FTS-filters on SQL Server
2000?. If yes what would be the most rational way to go about this. SQL
server does not allow this conversion directly.
thanks

Niels Hansen

2. Installing Oracle 7.3.2 under Digital Unix 4.0b

3. convert image datatype to text datatype

4. error E_DM9C84_DM0P_FIX_TABIO in errlog.log

5. All text datatypes vs. more specific datatypes

6. OLEISAPI

7. text datatype and char datatype

8. Does FMPro4 allow half point font sizes in forms?

9. D3 access of MSSQL Text datatype

10. Text datatype bombs out in Access > SQL

11. Newbie - accessing Text DataType field via VBS file.

12. Convert Access memo datatype to SQL Server text type