CD-KEY for Downloaded Evaluation SQL2K

Post by Gideon Reic » Tue, 14 May 2002 13:01:12

I know I must be missing something obvious but I
downloaded the evaluation version of SQL 2000, started to
install and got to the point where it prompts me for the
25-digit CD-Key and then realized that I didn't have the
CD nor the yellow sticker that the installation is
talking about. What is the key and/or where can I get it?

Thanks in advance,

Gideon

CD-KEY for Downloaded Evaluation SQL2K

Post by Larry Chesnut [M » Sun, 19 May 2002 06:23:24

This is the first I ever heard of that problem.  So I downloaded from the
SQL home page the eval version.  I ran the install twice and did not
encounter a request for a CD-Key.

Are you absolutely certain you were installing from a downloaded eval
edition?
During the install, across the top title bar, did it say this?

         Enterprise Evaluation Edition
         Microsoft SQL Server 2000

There should also be a file named LICENSE.TXT which at the top says
"120-day Evaluation License".

When posting, please state the version of SQL Server being used and the
error number/exact error message text received, if any.

Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.

CD-KEY for Downloaded Evaluation SQL2K

Post by Gideon Reic » Mon, 20 May 2002 01:43:05

It's definitely the evaluation version. Perhaps it's the method I'm
using for installation. I have two computers. One is connected to the
internet and another isn't but they are networked. I downloaded and
extracted the SQL Server file onto the internet machine and ran autorun
locally but was trying to install onto the other machine using the
remote install feature. That's when I get prompted for the CD-Key. Is
remote install not allowed for the eval version?

Gideon

CD-KEY for Downloaded Evaluation SQL2K

Post by Larry Chesnut [M » Wed, 22 May 2002 06:30:56

Ahhhh.. more info.  Always good.  Yep, that's it.  This is a new one I
haven't seen before.   It doesn't seem to be stated anywhere that I can
find, but it appears you can't install the EVAL Version using the "Remote"
selection, just the "Local".   Sorry, but that seems to be a limitation
DEV/Marketing must have put on the eval version.